INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi library doesn't install with KStars on Mac Catalina

• Thank you received: 0
I installed KStars on MBP with Catalina. Launching it I get a message that the Indi library is not found on the usr/local/... directory and to set the localtion in the Setting of KStars. I've looked thru al the folders such as library and system and others. searched for indi and indilib files, they aren't found anywhere I can see. I've read the hellp doc available with the KStars install which mentions other files, I'm not finding any other them. I 've tried the install three times and am the administrator of the computer. Is there and Indi installer somewhere that installs just that portion separately? The KStars installer isn't working as is.

Bill
3 years 8 months ago #56621

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I downloaded the Mac installer for KStars 3.4.2 from the KDE website a few days ago and installed it on a brand new MacBook Pro running the latest patch of Catalina. No problems whatsoever. How did you install KStars exactly?

Wouter
3 years 8 months ago #56634

Hello Wouter,
I downloaded the Kstars dmg from the site and also downloaded the md5 and sha256 tho there are no instructions about how they are used.

From the download folder I double clicked the dmg and got the Kstars drag window and the mounted Kstars disk. I did read the Read First and the copyright info. I drug the Kstars to the App folder on the window.

When I launch I get this message.

Kstars seems to run fine otherwise, but the Indi menu doesn't open.

The Kstars preferences shows what must be the expected folders.

I have searched for these folders and files, they aren't there.

So maybe I missed a step somewhere!

Thanks

Bill
3 years 8 months ago #56638
Attachments:

I think the installation directory is wrong. When you double click the dmg file and you get the popup, try dragging and dropping it on the Applications folder icon in the popup. That is the default directory for application on MacOS. And make sure to remove the current installation from your desktop first to avoid clashes.

HTH, Wouter
3 years 8 months ago #56640

Thanks, yes, that has been my process, to drag to the Applications folder in the window, as you say. Kstars does go to that folder correctly, but the other folders for Indi (as shown in the Preference window) are not created or the files installed. Kstars does run fine, except fo the Indi error.
3 years 8 months ago #56642

Sorry, I misinterpreted that icon on your desktop for the KStars installation directory. But of course it is the virtual disk that gets mounted when double clicking the dmg file. I have those desktop icons disabled on my MacBook.

My INDI config in KStars looks like this:

What happens when you click the check boxes for INDI Server and INDI Drivers XML Directory?
3 years 8 months ago #56643
Attachments:

Ok, yes, that fixed it! At least the error is now gone. The Indi control panel doesn't open, but I need to review a few things to see if I've missed something else. Does the Indi control panel only open if devices have been configured with Ekos?

Thanks again!

Bill
3 years 8 months ago #56644

It only opens when Ekos is running. You can try with the simulators first to make sure that everything is working.

Wouter
3 years 8 months ago #56646

thank you Wouter, this has been very helpful, you got me on the right track! Now, I can go back thru the tutorials more carefully.
3 years 8 months ago #56647

Time to create page: 1.368 seconds