INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What is the best waqy to upgrade toKstars bleeding

• Thank you received: 9
I have a raspberry PI b+ with ubuntu-mate running. I want to install the latest indi drivers, I have tried using upgrading to the latest indi full lib and then kstars bleeding. This corupts the KStars file with an error that says the time zone.dat file is missing. If I want to run the latest indi drivers what should I do?? Thanks ... Bruce
8 years 9 months ago #4345

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
I just got a Pi 2 running with Ubuntu MATE and installed the indi drivers but not KStars -- I'm running KStars on a desktop with regular Ubuntu. I think the installation of the INDI server is separate from KStars, but there might be version compatibility issues which I'm not remembering.

To get the latest indi drivers, I downloaded the source using Subversion and compiled 'em, approximately following the instructions on www.indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-...st-libindi-ekos.html but changing the procedure slightly to get drivers for my cameras (QHY5 and DSLR). I can post the commands I used if you're interested in compiling this stuff.
8 years 9 months ago #4351

Thanks for the response Adinghi, I solved the problem this morning, when I realized I was using the instructions on the down load page instead of the updated instructions. I am in business. I am using a QHY5L which loaded just fine, my QHY8pro did not, so I have conected QHY on that. .... I can't wait to how well this stuff works... Bruce
8 years 9 months ago #4354

• Thank you received: 6
Bruce, did you solve your problem with indi or kstars-bleeding? Could you point us to those updated instructions? I have kstars running fine. But got your problem when installing kstars-bleeding. So I guess I missed something.
Thanks
8 years 9 months ago #4356

After installing and uninstalling many times here is my final set of notes. The HDMI settings you need to adjust for your situation, and if you are using VNC. It might be easier to follow my notes in the attached document.

these notes only apply for Ubuntu-mate on a Raspberry PI using more than 4 gig of SD. Resizing the storage on the sd card does not apply unless you have more than 4 gig. I recomend a minimum of 8. I highly recomend you leave the standard applications for ubuntu-mate as they are, just to minimize any probability of uninstalling apps interfering with KStars. The one application I added was filezilla to transfer images on and off the RPI.
good luck... Bruce .....
I am not an expert in Linux, I just pretent too....

resize hdmi screen
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
remove # comment out
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1 enable low resolution if using VNC and no HDMI
hdmi_group=1 to force vga
hdmi_mode=16 to force vga

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
overscan_left=16
overscan_right=16
overscan_top=16
overscan_bottom=16
resize partition
elinux.org/RPi_Resize_Flash_Partitions
Manually resizing the SD card on Raspberry Pi
You can also resize the partitions of the SD card that your Pi is running on.
First you need to change the partition table with fdisk. You need to remove the existing partition entries and then create a single new partition than takes the whole free space of the disk. This will only change the partition table, not the partitions data on disk. The start of the new partition needs to be aligned with the old partition!
Start fdisk:
sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
Then delete partitions with d and create a new with n. You can view the existing table with p.
p to see the current start of the main partition
d, 3 to delete the swap partition
d, 2 to delete the main partition
n p 2 to create a new primary partition, next you need to enter the start of the old main partition and then the size (enter for complete SD card). The main partition on the Debian image from 2012-04-19 starts at 157696, but the start of your partition might be different. Check the p output!
w write the new partition table
Now you need to reboot:
sudo shutdown -r now
After the reboot you need to resize the filesystem on the partition. The resize2fs command will resize your filesystem to the new size from the changed partition table.
sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
This will take a few minutes, depending on the size and speed of your SD card.
When it is done, you can check the new size with:
df -h

install kstars /indi /ekos bleeding

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/astrometry.net
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding && sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding-dbg indi-dbg && sudo apt-get install gsc
Install VNC
To install X11VNC server SSH into your RasPi and use - sudo apt-get install x11vnc.
Now use x11vnc -storepasswd and set your VNC access password.
Now, we need to make X11VNC server start with LXDE, to do that use following commands at terminal.
cd .config
mkdir autostart
cd autostart
nano x11vnc.desktop
Now paste following :
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=X11VNC
Exec=x11vnc -forever -usepw -display :0 -ultrafilexfer
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false
Save the above file by using - Ctrl-X, Y,
This will auto start our VNC server every time

Read more: Installing VNC server on Raspberry Pi for remote desktop functionality | Megaleecher.Net www.megaleecher.net/Raspberry_Pi_VNC_Setup#ixzz3ccZwUy8n
8 years 9 months ago #4357
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Thank you for the thorough reply. I have resized Ubuntu mate Rpi2 running but when I get to KStars bleeding install step I get multiple errors missing dependencies and not run held packages message. I have run previous steps per instructions. Any thoughts? I have even reinstalled OS and started completely over. Indiserver seems to install fine. Thanks!
8 years 9 months ago #4358

I believe the problem is that if you followed the posted instruction your system is now set up to pull files from the wrong place. I am sure there is a way to corrrect this, but I ended up reformatting and starting over, I just wanted everything cleared out and clean..... Sorry for the answer you probably did not want....Bruce
8 years 9 months ago #4359

• Thank you received: 6
Thanks Bruce for such a detailed answer. But I am afraid those are the exact steps I followed. As I wrote them hahaha. I am staying at kstars instead of kstars-bleeding due to I got in problems once. But provided you followed the same route and got it right, I will try it again with a different SD card :)

Post your experience, problems and solutions if they arise :)

In fact, I am writing the steps you detailed with some screenshots and pictures for it to be published as tutorial here, so it is easier to find. If possible, I will include a video of everything running on the field this Saturday :) I hope the weather let's me do it...

Regards
8 years 9 months ago #4360

Time to create page: 0.791 seconds