INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New KStars/Ekos Module: Analyze

• Thank you received: 559
I just added a new module to KStars/Ekos named Analyze.

Analyze is now available in the latest KStars source, will be available in nightly builds in the next day or two, and will be part of the next KStars release.
This is "V1.0". I'm sure there are improvements to be made, new features, and perhaps bug fixes. I'm hoping some of you will experiment with this, let me know how its going, and feedback ideas for improvements on this thread.

Here's a screenshot.

Analyze helps you understand how your imaging session is going. In the above picture, Analyze is reviewing an old imaging session from 8/22/2020 starting at 21:27:04 (see the display at the top). It shows there were 32 captures, first 8 green, then 8 blue, 8 red, and 8 green. There were several auto-focus sessions, several guiding sessions (interrupted by dithering or focus), You can see the guide drift-plot from the 3rd blue capture in the lower right, which was generated by clicking on that blue capture. The Statistics plot is showing a graph of SNR (yellow), RMS Guide Error (red), and Captured Image HFR (blue) for the imaging session which started around 21:27 and lasted until about midnight, or alternatively, about 9600 seconds long. The Details window in the bottom left is showing more information about that 3rd Blue capture.

The Help button doesn't seem to lead to a link that works properly at this point (hopefully that'll be fixed soon) but the information there is pretty much what I've included in this forum post.

More details below.

Introduction
The Analyze Module records and displays what happens in an imaging session. That is, it does not control any of your imaging, but rather reviews what occurred. Sessions are stored in an analyze folder, a sister folder to the main logging folder. Analyze can display data from the current imaging session. Alternatively, the .analyze files written there can be loaded into the Analyze tab to review an old imaging session. In this way, Analyze is similar to the left-most "setup" tab which shows progress and status of the current session, but Analyze shows much more information about what's happened, and can review old sessions.

Analyze has two main graphs, Timeline and Stats. They are coordinated--they always display the same time interval from the Ekos session, though the x-axis of the Timeline shows seconds elapsed from the start of the log, and Stats shows clock time. The x-axis can be zoomed in and out with the +/- button, mouse wheel, as well as with standard keyboard shortcuts (e.g. zoom-in == control +) The x-axis can be panned with the scroll bar as well as with the left and right arrow keys. You can view your current imaging session, or review old sessions by loading .analyze files using the Input dropdown. Checking Full Width displays all the data, and Latest displays the most recent data (you can control the width by zooming).

Timeline
Timeline shows the major Ekos processes, and when they were active. For instance, the Capture line shows when images were taken (green sections) and when imaging was aborted (red sections). Clicking on a green section gives information about that image, and double clicking on one brings up the captured image in a FitsViewer, if it's available. [Note: if you've moved your captured images, you can set alternate directory in the input menu to a directory which is the base of part of the original file path.] Clicking on a Focus segment shows focus session information and displays up the position vs HFR measurements from that session. Clicking on a Guider segment shows a drift plot from that session, (if it's guiding) and the session's RMS statistics. Other timelines show status information when clicked.

Statistics
A variety of statistics can be displayed on the Stats graph. There are too many for all to be shown in a readable way, so select among them with the checkboxes. A reasonable way to start might be to use RMS, SNR (using the internal guider with SEP Multistar), and HFR (if you have auto-compute HFR in the FITS options). Experiment with others. The axis shown (0-5) is appropriate only for ra/dec error, drift, rms, pulses, and hfr. These may be y-axis scaled (awkwardly) using the mouse wheel, but the other graphs cannot be scaled. To reset y-axis zooming, right-click on the Stats plot. Clicking on the graph fills in the values of the displayed statistics. This graph is zoomed and panned horizontally in coordination with the timeline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Rick Bassham, Thomas Seckler, Gonzothegreat, gehelem, Alfred, Magnus Larsson, Jarno Paananen, Andrew, Jim and 18 other people also said thanks.
3 years 7 months ago #58946
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57
Wow, fantastic!
3 years 7 months ago #58948

• Thank you received: 1
Awesome! I did not even know I needed such a feature until you spelt it out. This is very useful Hy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 7 months ago #58957

• Thank you received: 94
Hy, everyone
Work of art.
So good to have all this in just one window.
Cheers,
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Paul Muller
3 years 7 months ago #58959

• Thank you received: 120
This is awesome work. I've been using github.com/fenriques/AstroDom to analyze sessions after the fact, but having it live during a session is even better.

Feature request: Another checkbox to calculate and show star eccentricity in the images would be awesome. Guiding RMS approximates what I can expect from the image, but actually measuring eccentricity and seeing graphed next to the guiding info would be useful to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
3 years 6 months ago #58976

• Thank you received: 160
Seeing will largely influence HFR so I deem HFR an excellent indication for seeing. Eccentricity will go into HFR, too albeit to a lesser extent (unless it is huge).
3 years 6 months ago #58982

• Thank you received: 38
Great work! I appreciate all your hard work!
3 years 6 months ago #58984

• Thank you received: 223
Great evidence of a fantastic community we have here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon, maxthebuilder, Giles
3 years 6 months ago #58985

• Thank you received: 19
During my session, I noticed an issue with calculating RMS. I used PHD2 for guiding, and I use the Z-filter algorithm for DEC control. According to the folks at PHD2, when Z-filter is used, PHD2 shifts the image - RA is centered, but DEC is shifted by 1 arc-second. I'm not sure why, but this will throw off the calculation of RMS due to the DEC shift. Take a look at the attached pictures so you can see what I mean.

But very nice tool!

Regards,

jmh
3 years 6 months ago #59051
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 53
Who told you that? The Z-filter algorithm might result in an off center plot if guiding starts with the star off center and a large X-factor is used. This happens because it works in the frequency domain and a constant offset corrresponds to zero frequency so it does not get corrected. But it does not necessarily result in a 1 arc-second shift under all conditions. In fact, it is arguably preferable for the offset to be retained as it results in a better image.
On the other hand, RMS values should be calculated about the mean so a constant offset becomes the mean and therefore cancels out of the RMS value.. This is how PHD2 calculates the RMS as you can see.
3 years 6 months ago #59054

• Thank you received: 559
This is what Analyze currently does re RMS guide error. Please let me know if you think I got something wrong.

Internal guider, see
invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/m...uide/gmath.cpp#L1242
SquareError(t) = ((RA(t) - RA_target(t))**2 + (DEC(t) - DEC_target(t))**2)

In the PHD2 case, the RA(t) - RA_target(t) or diff_ra_arcsecs is taken straight from PHD2 (PHD2 calculates that and sends it to Ekos).
See invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/m...lguide/phd2.cpp#L487 for PHD2 part.
So, in the PHD2 case, Ekos is taking as the RA or DEC error, what PHD2 says is the RA or DEC error.

Analyze implements an IIR filter with an approximate time constant of 40 samples (nothing magic about 40 samples == about 2 minutes with 3s samples)

// initialize
filteredRMS = 0;
constexpr double timeConstant = 40.0;
rmsFilterAlpha = 1.0 / pow(timeConstant, 0.865);

// at every time sample (x below is SquareError(t) above)
filteredRMS = rmsFilterAlpha * x + (1.0 - rmsFilterAlpha) * filteredRMS;
invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/m...yze/analyze.cpp#L485

and takes the sqrt of the (poorly named) filteredRMS to get the rms value you see. (I guess I should have named it filteredSquareError).
invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/m...yze/analyze.cpp#L542

It does not take the mean of the RA or DEC samples. I understand your logic, though, why that might be nice.

All that said, that's not quite true for the case of RMS error printed in the Details box, e.g. when you click on a guide timeline session or a capture timeline session.
There, it does not use an approximate IIR filter, but rather computes exactly the sqrt of the sum of the square error in the interval.

In any event, just to be clear, this is what is currently implemented.
Happy to entertain suggestions,

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Self, Paul Muller
3 years 6 months ago #59055

• Thank you received: 62
awesome work! thank you. All the insight needed to monitor and review the session in one window; to me it should replace the Setup tab.

@Rick, I'm thinking to use the .analyze file as the only source of information for Astrodom. What do you think?

ferrante
3 years 6 months ago #59059

Time to create page: 0.917 seconds