INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:Re:EKOS crashes RPI4 (Ekos Debugger logs available)

• Thank you received: 41
So 2nd night again with a crash...

My setup:

RPI4 4GB
Stellarmate OS

USB3 port, Guide Camera
USB3 port, DSLR
USB2 port, external antenna (hotspot to control from my iPad)

1 Power bank for RPI4, Guide, External Antenna
1 Power bank for DSLR

Just like yesterday, I've made a simple Sequence: 100 x 120", 5s gap, ISO100. Both days when I went to pack things up, EKOS was crashed ~ 70 subs. PHD2 was still running. Today I've managed to get logs.

Any ideas?
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Euripides.
3 years 6 months ago #59704
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117
A couple of thoughts: Are you running the most up-to-date distro of SM OS? If not, I would say that it's definitely advisable to update. If you are running an older SM OS distro, are you allowing the FITSviewer to pop-up? If so, it could be a possible culprit (only for older releases). I used to experience crashes with older releases, but find the newest release remarkably stable (especially now that fitsviewer issues have been addressed).

A couple of probably unrelated thoughts, but things to consider for more reliable service long term. You want to be sure your power bank is providing enough juice to the Pi4. Spec is 3amps @5V. If you're sharing power from 1 bank to 3 devices, you should make sure that full spec power for all devices is capable of being delivered (even though nominal draw after boot will be less). Generally, I wouldn't trust the PI4's USB ports to power devices. Theoretically, yes, but practically and reliably, no. Ideally, you should consider a powered USB3 hub. Cheers, Doug
3 years 6 months ago #59705

Hello!

I have the latest version. I’m pretty sure the viewer works, but I do not use it (disabled option). I shoot and save in RAW CR2 but the main screen previews is not working (ok, this is another issues, let’s leave it on the side :-) )

I had issues with power, that’s why I use a second power bank only for DSLR. But if that’s was an issue, why everything else is working and EKOS crashes at 70 shots? In addition to that, I can’t see any hint about power in the log file - as far as I can understand of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 years 6 months ago #59716

• Thank you received: 107
Well from logs it looks like it crash somewhere in guiding. I would try to use Ekos internal guider for a change. For power issue I think that is logged into kernel log. So try run "dmesg"
3 years 6 months ago #59717

That would be strange. Both nights guiding was still working with no stars lost or anything else.

Never tried internal guider, I will give it a chance as soon as I learn how to use it :-)
3 years 6 months ago #59719

Didn't mean to suggest that your issue is power related....it was a side note about long term stability. Looking at the log, it seems clear that a memory stomp is occurring, and it's bad enough to corrupt the stack. It's not clear whether memory has been exhausted, or it's just a memory bug that your configuration/setup has tickled. If you are getting 70 subs, what about trying a test where you setup for 2 sets of 50 subs. Does that run clean? If it does, it will give a hint that memory exhaustion is occurring. You probably should plan to have a terminal window up as you're running, and run the memory free command a few times as the job is running to see how memory is being consumed. That will give you a good clue as to what's going on. I would do this for both tests (2x50, and the 70 crash). You want to catch this just prior to the crash in the 2nd case, and then after the crash. The output will be along the lines of:

$ free -h
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 3.5Gi 654Mi 2.0Gi 170Mi 921Mi 2.7Gi
Swap: 2.0Gi 0B 2.0Gi
3 years 6 months ago #59734

Hmmm that would be a good idea, with 2 sets. I am gonna try it. I can’t believe that there is no enough memory to run the EKOS, cause I have already the memory graph in the menu bar and I’m struggling to see even a slight pick there.
But surely I am gonna keep that in mind to test it!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 years 6 months ago #59740

After you run your tests, if you are still experiencing the crash, I recommend creating a support ticket on the SM OS site. Jasem will respond and help to resolve. Having the full logs will be helpful. Good luck, Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: Euripides
3 years 6 months ago #59746

Also please try to update StellarMate to all latest packages and then restart it. A memory issue was resolved recently.
3 years 6 months ago #59754

I’ve done it yesterday, before my session. I’ll redo it tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3 years 6 months ago #59758

Just to be clear....Don't use the package updater app on the desktop (doesn't work). Use this command in a terminal instead:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

If running this command brings a bunch of packages, it might be advisable to reboot the PI before running your test.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 6 months ago #59759

Never worked for me either..

Every time I boot my RPI I always run the update commands. I've done the same today, nothing new to install.

I load PHD2 and run the guiding as usual. Then I load Ekos and setting up my sequence and everything goes smoothly.

Today I've noticed something and I do not know if this is right. After starting my sequence I took a glimpse back in PHD2 and saw this message. The guiding was going on but the message was there. So I've done 2 more times my process from the top (even restarting RPI). This message appears as soon as I load Ekos.

3 years 6 months ago #59760
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.001 seconds