INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry - Oacapture - AVI Format

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I've been using Astroberry for a while for DSO stuff and its been great - Thanks.

Recently I wondered if I could connect up my old Celestron NexImage Webcam (basically an spc900) for some planetary imaging.

After updating astroberry few days ago I have managed to connect it up to oaCapture and use it for imaging. However it will not allow me to save as AVI format? I can save a mov format but then my MacBook cannot view the video, and Registax cannot stack the images as they are not in a format it will recognise.

Is there a way to allow oacapture to save as avi format?

Thanks

Terry
3 years 6 months ago #60387

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
No idea why it doesn't allow saving AVI, but maybe you can use SER instead?
3 years 6 months ago #60420

Thanks.

Yes I had a play last night and SER format saves OK, although I've never heard of SER format before. Plus it looks like Registax will process SER files ... not got round to trying that yet. Fingers crossed.
3 years 6 months ago #60428

Hmmm - Didn't work. When I try to load the SER file into Registax it seems to randomly crop and add blank scan lines to the frames. The SER file appears normal when viewed in SER Player, and PIPP. I have a workaround in that I can export the SER file in AVI format from PIPP, which can then be processed by Registax, but I don't know if that is a 'lossy' conversion.

So off to find a Registax Forum!

Mind you the end result wasn't too bad.

Cheers
Terry
3 years 6 months ago #60516
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 28
Hi Terry, why not try autostakkert instead of Registax for stacking the SER.

It works great.

Then you can use Registax to do your processing.

regards
3 years 6 months ago #60530

• Thank you received: 133

AFAIK, AVI is a lossy compression, which was one of the initial reasons for the SER format. Are you recording 16bit or 8bit SER? Might be Registax has issues with 16bit?

In doubt, have also a look at PlanetarySystemStacker ( Github , PyPi ), a Python-based, cross-platform Newcomer. Following the thread on CN suggests it delivers results at least as good as Autostakkert.
3 years 6 months ago #60540

Did you have any trouble connecting to the camera from oaCapture? Mine won't scan and find the camera and I'm kindof stumped.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68255

Time to create page: 0.688 seconds