INDI Library v1.8.7 Released (21 Nov 2020)

Nov. 2020 Release brings significant improvements to streaming and recording videos. Support for new drivers including Estatto focuser and Pegasus falcon rotator.

SEP autofocus star detection

1 month 2 weeks ago
Croz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
SEP autofocus star detection #61317
I’ve been using auto focus now for about six months but mostly using a single star. Recently I’ve started trying the SEP method with full field, multiple stars. What I’ve noticed is that the most obvious stars are not selected. I use an Annulus of 20%-80% and the stars that get selected “could” be actual stars, but they a faint and I’m not sure if they are real or noise. Is there a setting that would have the focus routine select more obvious - bright stars? There was around a dozen that were ignored on my last session.

This does not seem to happen when I use the simulators. I recall turning the gain down, but that didn’t help.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 weeks ago
DerPit
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
SEP autofocus star detection #61356
Quick question: What camera do you have? Is it a color one?

I recently got my first OSC, and have seen similar issues with SEP selecting weird/faint stars in AF. Switching to another algorithm for star detection did give much more reasonable selections. You can use multistar also without using SEP. Next thing I want to try is switching the camera to greyscale mode for AF.....

openSUSE Tumbleweed KStars git INDI git
GPDX+EQMOD, CEM60EC, ASI1600+EFW+EAF+ASI290 mini

1 month 2 weeks ago
Croz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
SEP autofocus star detection #61358
Yes, I have a OSC QHY 183c. I was using linear at the time. I’ll try one of the others. If a change the binning that might help as the QHY cameras turn off the color when set to 2x2.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 month 2 weeks ago
DerPit
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
SEP autofocus star detection #61359
Ah yes, now that you mention it - I had also tried binning, and that had improved results, too. I wasn't sure if binning for focus is a good idea - but given the pixel size (mine is an ASI183MC - guess that's the same chip as yours?) it's probably safe, at least for my 910mm FL...

openSUSE Tumbleweed KStars git INDI git
GPDX+EQMOD, CEM60EC, ASI1600+EFW+EAF+ASI290 mini

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds