INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Atik CCD "hangs" on exposure

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I've been seeing this on and off lately: My Atik 383L+ "hangs" on exposure at times. It is to take lets say 180 sec exposure, the exposure starts, and it starts at 180 secs in Ekos Capture module. But it does not count down. After several minutes still 180 secs. I click abort and it restarts and all is OK. It can also happen mid-exposure.

Here is a log where it happens twice: first exposure of V1391 Cas, and the last exposure in the sequence. Anyone recognizes?

Magnus
3 years 6 months ago #61379
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi!

Here's another one. I pulled the log while it was "freezing" but cannot makes sense of the log on this issue. If anyone else can, I'd be happy! This is a bit frustrating.

Magnus
3 years 6 months ago #61510
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 223
I had similar issues a while ago with my Atik314 (and other more serious problems), it turned out that on mine the circuit board was dying so I got it replaced by Atik. They did a fantastic job.
Now in your case it might not be the same, but I've recently seen a post about somebody talking about the quality of the USB cables. I'm going through a redesign of my observatory and I will be using premium cables this time and not cheap ones.
3 years 6 months ago #61515

• Thank you received: 168
I use the same camera with git head versions of INDI, 3rd-party drivers and KStars updated daily and haven't had this sort of issue as far as I can remember. Is the camera connected directly to your Raspberry or via hub? Is there anything in the kernel dmesg log like USB disconnections? I run Ubuntu 20.04 on x64 mini PC myself. The log didn't tell that much except it seems the cooler is running at full power which might cause power issues or if the set temperature (seems to be -30, which seems a bit excessive) is too low and the camera can't reach it, that might have something to do with it. The cooling is rated only for -40 degrees from ambient (have tried, it can, but only barely) so unless you were outside in quite cold, it just can't do that. I used to run mine at -15 but had issues during the winter that the ambient went below that (I live in Finland so that happens quite often) so changed to -20 and it has worked fine so far. Just have to take darks during the night if autumn is warm as my remote observatory gets quite warm during the day.

[2020-10-12T16:01:54.678 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Atik 383L : "[INFO] Setting CCD temperature to -30.00 C "
3 years 6 months ago #61517

Hi!

OK, good to hear that you neither recognize it nor can see anything in the log. So I switch USB-cables and will more closely monitor power consumption. As for temp settings, Ii's below 10 here, so it normally does reach -30, however, seemed not do to that last night.

Best,

Magnus
3 years 6 months ago #61538

Hi!

I've been switching USB-cables and now using a more powerful power source - running way below its limits. And I still get freezes. Here are logs copies while the Atik was stuck at 23 secs left of exposure. Anyone that can make something of these?

Magnus
3 years 5 months ago #62187
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds