INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pi4 Stellarmate USB hub problems

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,

I have a Pi4 4gb (powered by Pi4 genuine power supply)
Latest Stellarmate OS
Connected to network via Hardwired Ethernet
MBeat powered USB Hub - 3 USB2 ports, 4 USB3 Ports
Powered USB Extension lead.

Devices connected to hub:
ASI533MC Pro
QHY 5L11
Celestron CPC925
Celestron Motor Focuser

Devices on the hub will only connect when the hub is plugged in to to the bottom left USB 2 port on the Pi4
They will not connect to the top USB 2, or either of the USB3 ports.

This hub/equipment has worked perfectly with two different Windows 10 laptops and a friends laptop running Mint Linux.. The MBeat hub as a great reputation as being rock solid here in Australia.

In desperation I tried the latest Astroberry, and struck an identical issue.

Any ideas? Seems the Pi4 from what I've read elsewhere has marginal USB?

Any suggestions? I'm not up with Linux/raspian so not sure what to do.

TIA
Gary
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Gary McKenzie. Reason: Make stuff clearer
3 years 5 months ago #61981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117
Gary, have you tried to connect just the powered hub with no devices to the Pi4, and then slowly add components to see where it breaks? Are you just communicating via USB to the 925's HC? Also, how confident are you of the amps delivered to the separately powered USB hub? I think a good test might be to plug the powered hub into a USB3 port on the PI, select a telescope simulator in your Ekos profile, and then try to talk to the focuser and 5L11 camera. If that works, proceed to add the 533. Small steps should have you figuring out what's not happy soon enough.

From my perspective, I have a Pi4 with 4Gb, a powered hub, 2 cameras, a focuser, PPB power distribution, and Celestron HC all connected through a powered hub....no problems. I don't think the Pi4 has bad USB ports outside of the USB3 interference noted in other posts about 2.4Ghz wireless, HDMI, and/or bluetooth. It's always possible you have a bum Pi4 (USB2 not working is a bad sign), but some additional tests should help sort it out. Good luck with the chase....
3 years 5 months ago #61986

Hi,
Thanks dmsummers, I have ripped the cables out of my newly completed observatory and found that the Pi does not like my powered usb extension. When the hub is directly plugged in to the Pi everything connects as it should. (I tried a second brand new hub I had as a spare with the same results as the first hub.) Strange the extension works with every other pc hooked to it.....

Is there a powered usb3 extension that is known to work with the Pi?

Thanks
Gary
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Gary McKenzie.
3 years 5 months ago #61989

• Thank you received: 117
I don't have a need for an USB extender so I can't help there. Just curious though, if you're only talking about the hand controller, 2 cams and the focuser (all of which should be in close proximity), why the need for the extender? If you're running VNC or other remote desktop SW through your ethernet to the Pi4, it would seem that the USB extender might be able to be eliminated?
3 years 5 months ago #62002

• Thank you received: 140

Try switching the Wi-Fi From the default 2.4gh to 5gh the 2.4 and the USB ports don’t work well together it’s a known issue...
Or better still get an external Wi-Fi dongle and use that....
3 years 5 months ago #62020

• Thank you received: 15
Get rid of the USB extender cable, move everything onto the hub, such that it is the only USB device directly connected to the Pi. If you aren't using Wifi and Bluetooth, turn them off in the Raspberry Pi config file like so:

Open the terminal in Stellarmate and type in (no quotes): "sudo nano -w /boot/config.txt"

Then arrow down and add the following text to the end of the file:

#Disable wifi, bluetooth, and the audio chips.
dtoverlay=disable-wifi
dtoverlay=disable-bt
dtparam=audio=off

This will completely disable Wifi and Bluetooth and audio, which you do not seem to be using. It kills two radio sources at the Pi, and recovers significant power that will be available for the USB buss to use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
3 years 5 months ago #62061

Thanks bdavis, I'll give it a try..
cheers
Gary
3 years 5 months ago #62115

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds