INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop 64-Bit on Raspberry Pi 4b: Cannot Install Indi / GSC ?

• Thank you received: 2
I have just tried installing a fresh Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop edition 64-bit on my Raspberry Pi 4 which has just been released by Canonical (previously you could install Ubuntu 20.04 server, and install a desktop on top).

After the Ubuntu installation process I tried to install Indi, Gsc and Kstars via the guide at:
indilib.org/get-indi/download-ubuntu.html

After adding the repository and performing an update, I try the command: sudo apt-get install indi-full gsc

But I get the following on the terminal console, and cannot proceed any further. Am I missing something? Should I expect this to work on Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop for RPi edition?
======================================
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
indi-atik : Depends: libcfitsio8 (>= 3.470~) but it is not installable
indi-bin : Depends: libcfitsio8 (>= 3.470~) but it is not installable
indi-ffmv : Depends: libdc1394-22 (>= 2.2.5) but it is not installable
indi-gphoto : Depends: libcfitsio8 (>= 3.470~) but it is not installable
indi-pentax : Depends: libcfitsio8 (>= 3.470~) but it is not installable
indi-qhy : Depends: libcfitsio8 (>= 3.470~) but it is not installable
libindi1 : Depends: libcfitsio8 (>= 3.470~) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
======================================
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Feilim Breatnach.
3 years 5 months ago #62102

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
Are you quite sure you didn't just install the "only just" newly released Ubunto preinstalled Desktop 20.10 version? I ran into similar problems and found some work-arounds if that is the issue. The method I used worked, but was a bit convoluted.

Run: lsb_release -a

...to be certain.

Next, you need to run: sudo apt --fix-broken install

...if you didn't already.

This command would be for either version of the OS. It may fix it all if you are actually running 20.04, otherwise there are some issues that are more complicated to resolve...but resolvable.
3 years 5 months ago #62104

• Thank you received: 2
Hi apologies you are of course correct, I should have said Ubuntu 20.10 - thread title corrected now. I will try your workarounds in the morning and see if I get any further :)
3 years 5 months ago #62106

Ok, this may not be the most "workman-like" approach, but it solved a lot of issues and worked in the end:

First, you must remove the PPA for indi. It will not work with 20.10, because they look for versions of libraries in version 20.04 (as of this writing...hopefully, soon to change). If it is not too much trouble, start with a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.10.

First, install this library: sudo apt install libcfitsio-dev

... you'll notice that the version for Ubuntu 20.10 is libfitsio9 (not libcfitsio8 as in the previous release).

Next, install the more generic (not bleeding) version of Kstars/Ekos via: sudo apt install kstars

... it should install without a bark. The main reason to do this is to acquire all the various libraries with the appropriate version for Ubuntu 20.10.

Next go to github (github.com/indilib/indi) and download, compile and install indi. This will manage most of the barks you got in your previous attempt. Depending upon your setup, you might also need to do some 3rd party drivers from (github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty). The step-by-step instructions for each download/compile/install are below the files listing on each of these two pages. Best to cut and paste the commands, as they are complex to type.

OK...now...working system..but old Kstars with all the fiddly bits that make Ubuntu 20.10 happy. Now you have a choice. You can keep the version from the Ubuntu 20.10 groovy/universe provided in the "sudo apt install kstars" line, OR go do the github thing once again (github.com/KDE/kstars) OR you could NOW add the PPA and see if anything interesting updates when you do a: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade (though this may yield unpredictable results).

I chose the github compile kstars approach, as good results are more certain at this moment in time. It won't be long before they will have things fixed so the PPA installs are looking for the right library versions in the apt download for that PPA. You may possibly want want updates, so it should be OK to add the PPA in a little while. The ink isn't dry yet on Ubuntu 20.10. It is -possible- that it would be safe to add the PPA after you have a working system. I know they are working on getting things lined up once again.

...or you could just wait until they get things lined up again and it should install from the PPA :)

Best wishes!
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 5 months ago #62108

• Thank you received: 41
So I did this recently after the 20.10 release. It was a bit a a game. I ended up installing all of the dependencies as per the git hub recommendations separately and ended up with about two that would not install so I went looking for the older packages in the ubuntu package directory. The Groovy Gorilla has the libcfitio9 installed but you can get the io8 version from the ubuntu packages repository (packages.ubuntu.com/focal/libcfitsio8) and install it as a deb package. It will solve some of the dependency issues. I still was unable to install indi-full however. However this is not really needed.
I ended up doing sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding on it's own. Then installing libindi1 as a separate package and indi-bin I think. Then I just chose the individual drivers that I needed for my set up (asi, myfocuserpro2 and eqmod). I had a few crashes with eqmod but then it all settled down and now appears to work. I keep seeing the gsc not found but this could now be part of kstars bleeding but I am just guessing as the KStars ekos/limited indi appears to work ok now.
I did this purely for "fun" there is no way I would trust it this early on. Clear nights are a rarity at the moment.

Cheers,

Mike
3 years 5 months ago #62112

OK...glad you are up. Just remember that adding the libcfitsio8 version broke your libcfitsio9 (it overwrote the .a file that is the root of most of the symbolic links). If you want the indi-full, just do the github full compile of indi.

Cheers!
3 years 5 months ago #62133

Time to create page: 0.715 seconds