INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using Raspberry Pi cameras for imaging

• Thank you received: 5
Hi folks, I have some questions about using the Pi Hi Res and V2 cameras as imaging cameras with an Astroberry rig. According to the Pi camera info page (www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/camera), I should use the V4L2 driver for these cameras. Has anyone tried this? Are they properly recognized in Astroberry with PHD2 and Ekos?

Also, according to the info on this page (tinyurl.com/yxfkmp6g), the Hi Res Pi camera uses only a small area of the sensor for video, so creating an equivalent "crop factor" compared to a standard 36x24mm sensor of 12.5x, so attached to my AT60ED I'd be dealing with something along the lines of a 4500mm lens. I would imagine this would make trying to focus a nightmare. Does the V2 camera similarly use a small portion of it's sensor for video?

Finally, I imagine I would have to use an application like Ekos for capture and saving, no? I'm not sure what kind of settings I would need for such a setup. I would be using the Pi with the AT60ED on a Skyguider Pro tracker with an ASI120MM guide cam with it's matching 120mm scope. I also have some older Nikkor lenses in shorter focal lengths of 200, 135, 105, 85 and 50mm optics that can readily attach to the Pi cameras via adapters.

So, besides getting everything to recognize the cameras and setting the software up properly, I'm wondering how I could focus accurately with such a setup. Has anyone tried these cameras for imaging with Astroberry?

Thanks for any info on this.
3 years 5 months ago #62380

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds