INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Latest KStars: Cannot resize the Mount Control window :(

• Thank you received: 133
I was just playing around with the latest KStars and an indoors setup with another mount. Wanting to move it manually I fired up the Mount Control Panel, which I usually don't use much. It always had issues with the font and button sizes (I'm on a HiDPI monitor), and need to resize the window to actually see everything.

But in this version (3.5.0-1707_g8f1d90fdf) resizing is no longer possible. Other windows I can resize. Is this change intentional? Like this the control panel isn't very helpful :(

3 years 4 months ago #62621
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
Hello Peter,

in this new version of Mount Control the change was intentional to have a fixed well defined layout. From your post, I learn that this choice is not good for HiDPI monitors, since their pixel doubling technology has a 2x zoom effect on window contents. I'll search now a solution and fix the problem.

Fabrizio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
3 years 4 months ago #62638

• Thank you received: 226
Hmm. Looks like Fabrizio's defined layout increased the font size in the window. Could that also explain why the text on FOV symbols is also very large and partially cut off now?

Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Andrew.
3 years 4 months ago #62647
Attachments:

Hello,
I made a new version of Mount Control graphics using Qt font metrics. In theory, this should solve the problem arising with HiDPI monitors where each logical pixel is a 2x2 matrix of hardware pixels. Now, Mount Control can be resized again. Unfortunately, I can't test it, since I have no HiDPI screen. So, if someone with HiDPI wants to give it a try, I'd be very happy.
To try the new Mount Control version, the following two source files need to be updated in the last kstars source distribution before build:
.../kstars/kstars/ekos/mount/mount.cpp

File Attachment:

File Name: mount.cpp.zip
File Size:15 KB

.../kstars/kstars/data/qml/mount/mountbox.qml

File Attachment:

File Name: mountbox.qml.zip
File Size:3 KB

The appearance of the mount control should be like the following images.
On the left, Mount Control on kubuntu focal fossa (Qt 5.12). On the right, Mount Control on KDE Neon (Qt 5.15).

Thank you for any testing effort.
3 years 4 months ago #62722
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 17
Does the mount control window have an option to control the slew rate of a Celestron CGEM mount, like there is in the motion control section of the Indi control panel?
3 years 4 months ago #62727

It is the slider below the motion arrows.
3 years 4 months ago #62728

Thanks Fabrizio! I actually worked on this as well yesterday and fixed several issues in the layout. Can you check out my changes?
3 years 4 months ago #62744

• Thank you received: 133
Fabrizio,

thanks for the update. As your changes 'collided' with Jasems fixes, and I'm not really able to joint them manually, I checked out a kstars git before Jasems change (dcce7dd4d) and replaced the two files with your version. It however does not completely fix the issue:

This is how the window opens on first start. I can however again resize it (proper size in my case would be 310x670)
I run KDE/Plasma 5.20.2 on a 14 inch 2560x1440 screen (210dpi). No pixel doubling, but the default font size is increased (13/10pt)
3 years 4 months ago #62746
Attachments:

@Jasem On KDE Neon the layout is ok. On Kubuntu focal the layout is slightly clipped at bottom (without resize) as seen below.
I take it that you prefer to have the find button inline with the target text box, even if it gets tighter.
What do you think about introducing font metrics?

3 years 4 months ago #62750
Attachments:

Right I'd like to keep the find button inline, it didn't look right below that. How do we use font metrics exactly?
3 years 4 months ago #62752

I think to use font metrics to substitute dimensions given in pixels. For example, instead of
width: 100
with font metrics (supposing fontMetrics.width = 20)
width: fontMetrics.width * 5
The advantage should be an automatic resizing of window and all sized widget inside according to font real size that can change among different systems and monitors.

To complete the fix of MC layout, I suggest to enable again MC resizing: in file .../kstars/kstars/ekos/mount/mount.cpp comment line
m_BaseView->setMaximumSize(QSize(270, 600));
3 years 4 months ago #62760

Ok excellent, can you start with my latest change and see if you can get something decent on both Qt versions?
3 years 4 months ago #62764

Time to create page: 1.115 seconds