INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars 3.5 pulls erroneous location data from my mount

• Thank you received: 155
After upgrading to KStars 3.5 and a new mount (CEM120) I have an issue that has continued to stump me. It never occurred before with 3.4 or my other mount. The issue is that KStars pulls location and time data from my mount, which is good, but it grabs bad data. See the screen shot which shows that while the Latitude is correct for my New Mexico home, the Longitude is completely wrong. I checked the mount and the handset shows the correct data. Also, the data is read correctly for "site location" and "observer location" but not "mount location". I have no idea where longitude "253:50:42" is, but its not near me!

Can anyone shed some ideas here? Is the CEM120 driver at fault?

Peter

3 years 3 months ago #63572
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Is your longitude 106.155 degrees west? If so, 253.845 degrees would be correct for this number, since it is 360 - 106.155. Converting that number to hms format, I think it would come out close to what showed up in the log. Often, the Longitude number is in an always positive 360 degree format, not E/W or +/- 180 Degree format
3 years 3 months ago #63574

Yes, I am at 106.155 West. Thanks for pointing out the calculation. However, something else must be wrong then. Because BEFORE I launch EKOS, KStars is pointing correctly. But after it launches and updates KStars, then the sky map is way off. I have to go back in and update my location manually. I'll double check tonight and see if it's the location or date/time that is off.
3 years 3 months ago #63577

I figured I would wait a month and see if any updates fixed this problem - but no. I had turned off automatic time/location updates from the iOptron mount all month, and tonight I updated to the latest nightly and the issue is still there. When I turn on the option to pull the mount date/time & location it is still way off. The handset shows the correct date/time and location - but once it arrives into KStars the date/time are again off by 7 hours.

This has NEVER happened before with my iOptron CEM25 and only started once I moved to the iOptron CEM120.

I can always turn off this feature but there is certainly something odd going on with this driver.

Peter
3 years 3 months ago #64567

This looks like a classic timezone issue. Please check the timezone and see what's it is set to.

timedatectl would show it.
3 years 3 months ago #64588

• Thank you received: 182

-7 h UTC is the correct time for New Mexico. Where does it show the "wrong" time? In the site management tab for your mount (that should show UTC and the offset, -7, below) or on the upper left of the Kstars window (which should show local time). Did you set the geographic location in Kstars to NM?
3 years 3 months ago #64589

I appears correct to me. Am I missing something?

3 years 3 months ago #64610
Attachments:

I set up Kstars correctly.

Everything works like thus perfectly. I can use my mount to GOTO objects without any trouble.

but…

If I have Kstars pull location/date data from my mount, as I have always done before with my older iOptron CEM25 mount… it changes my date/time and location to someplace else…

Look at the difference between the before and after time/date in KStars. It now shows the local time +7 hours AHEAD.

So I check my mount - and it is also set correctly:

I just don't see what is nit set correctly.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Peter Kennett.
3 years 3 months ago #64611

Enter -7 in the currently empty UTC offset field below UTC time in the Site Management tab and see if that fixes the problem.

It should really populate that field correctly automatically, since all it needs to calculate it is UTC (which it has) and longitude (which it also has).

Moreover, elevation is also not shown correctly....

That looks like something that needs fixing in the iOptron v3 driver??

Because I do not have that problem with my CEM25P mount (and driver).

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 3 months ago #64612
Attachments:

When I enter -7 in that block, it takes me to the UTC set time window. See below.
I can’t set it to -7 like it shows in the Simulator or on my CEM25 Mount.

Once I go back to this screen, the UTC offset shows 9.2e-41

Not -7 like it should.

Peter
3 years 3 months ago #64615
Attachments:

That's obviously a non-sensical value. That has to be a driver problem then, since it does not happen with the CEM25 driver, only with the v3 driver.

You will need Wolfgang and Jasem to weigh in on this.

Sorry! Jo
3 years 3 months ago #64616

Right that's a driver issue. Can you provide the mount log? Let's see why it fails to parse the UTC offset.
3 years 3 months ago #64618

Time to create page: 1.676 seconds