INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

HIDDEV0 HID relay for D5100?

• Thank you received: 3
I have a D5100 that I use with the KMTronic relay, and it works just fine on Astroberry or Windows.

Today, I was going through some drawers and found a couple of relay boards I'd bought early on that, at the time, I could not get to work. I think I was using Windows at the time.

Anyway, I thought I'd plug one into the Pi and see if I could maybe get the relay to fire. Not so far.

1) the relay board showed up as hiddev0 under /dev/usb. But when I attempt to plug in /dev/usb/hiddev0 as the "port", Ekos accepts it but tries to connect to serial port /dev/hiddev0 and fails.
2) Quick and dirty like, I created a link, but it still doesn't trigger the relay. I get his:

2020-12-03T22:57:18: [ERROR] Failed to expose.
2020-12-03T22:56:44: [WARNING] Closing Nikon remote serial shutter failed.
2020-12-03T22:56:43: [WARNING] Opening Nikon remote serial shutter failed.
2020-12-03T22:56:43: [INFO] Starting 1 seconds exposure.

I noticed when I plugged it into Windows 10, the OS saw something out there but could not load a driver. Windows 7 loaded some HID driver, but that was the extent of it - no Comm port. My NUC is Windows 10 so I think if there's any hope, it's with the Pi.

I tried it using gphoto and nikon. I do NOT actually have the other side of the relay connected to the camera (have not made that part of cable yet) - I just want to test the relay communication.

My question really is - am I doing something wrong, or does this sort of relay board still not work?

Okay, different relay board, this one is recognized by Windows 7 (Comm13), has trouble with Windows 10, and in Astroberry it is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB1. However, the relay does not appear to trigger.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Paul Nixon. Reason: additional info
3 years 3 months ago #63831

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HID is a USB-class device and not treated as a Virtual Com Port so it will not work. There is DSUSB support which would use the HID device, but I'm not sure what VID:PID your USB device is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Nixon
3 years 3 months ago #63848

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Jasem,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what the status of support for these relays was. If I understand you correctly, these boards should work with NINA or Backyard Nikon? I can test that. ;)

I do have another relay board that's a bit different - it plugs into the USB port of a PC/Pi, etc. I tested it in Windows, and it gets assigned COM13, so it is the right type in that sense. I was able to trigger it with the KMTronic utility using different string (FF A0 01 01 A2 turn the relay on and FF A0 01 00 A1 to turn it off). Is there a way for the end-user to use that info to support this particular relay in Ekos?

Low priority, I know. Just am curious.

Thanks!
3 years 3 months ago #63862

If the relay acts like DSUSB then it can be incorporated.
3 years 3 months ago #63864

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds