INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Calibration Plots of different mounts - unmodified or modified

• Thank you received: 4
Dear community,

If a user knows how well a mount performs in guiding then she or he can buy a good mount which is worth the money.

I own a cheap Skywatcher HEQ 5 Pro and I want to share the Calibration Plot which drives me mad.

With this mount I get a Total RMS" in the range from 0.95" to 3.3"

I am using the Internal Guider. In the past PHD2 refused to accept the calibration procedure.

If we can build up some kind of "database" and are able to compare the calibration plots of different mounts (modified or not) maybe we can avoid products which are not up to the task.

Please add your mount, we all need to get more information!

Clear skies!
Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
3 years 4 months ago #64669
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86
I also have a second-hand old HEQ5.
My calibration looks better in RA but the total RMA is still about the same. On a good night with really good skies (I am in Bortle 8 ) I get total RMS around 1.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by maxthebuilder.
3 years 4 months ago #64679

So you have a similar non perpendicular plot especially a misshaped dec-axis?
And yes indeed, the quality of the guiding depends, I think mostly on good seeing. In think that my polar alignment is quite good because I use the PoleMaster.

The author Covington writes in his book 'Digital SLR Astrophotography' that a RMS error of 0.5" is exceptional, 1" is very good, 1.5" is good and 2" is acceptable when the seeing is bad or you use a cheap setup.
But the misshaped dec-axis concerns me most. I think my mount has some severe mechanical issues, I assume a bent worm shaft. This is the reason why I am uncertain if a Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro shows a better calibration plot.

In the userguide of PHD2 they state that the axes should be perpendicular to each other. This is probably the reason why PHD2 is not able to calibrate my setup.
Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Heiko.
3 years 3 months ago #64685

• Thank you received: 117
FWIW, I've chased a few issues in my Celestron CGX-L, and pretty much everyone I've talked to about mounts (almost all brands), has complaints! It's a favorite part of the hobby....complaining about our mounts! I've seen the CGX-L track at 0.45 rms (best), but typically tracks at 0.8 to 1.3 rms when weighted at 80% load capacity. The mount comes from the factory with 15-18 arcsecs of periodic error (which can be stomped down to 0.1 arcsec using PEC training). A couple of irritating issues is that it definitely has tracking inconsistency between different sky quadrants (not a balance issue....something else going on there). Most irritating is that it has a 21 second periodic blip of 0.6 arcsecs amplitude lasting only 0.3 seconds that can not be removed by PEC. This traces to the belt/motor interface. Finally, the mount has IMO too much DEC backlash, and definitely needs worm gear "play" adjustment between hot/cold seasons.

So, all this said, I've gotten reasonably good images from the mount as can be seen in my new AstroBin page. I attach my calibration (phd) for reference.

Cheers, Doug
www.astrobin.com/users/dmsummers/
3 years 3 months ago #64687
Attachments:

Of course it is! Thank you for sharing, the plot seems almost perfect to me.

I will try to "admire" this part of the hobby ;-)
Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
3 years 3 months ago #64688

• Thank you received: 565
I get similar plots with my Orion Atlas Pro. I want to point out, though, that your plots are close to perpendicular--at least the "outgoing portion" (solid green and blue),
and the outgoing sections are what's used for calibration. I'm not sure why the DEC return portion does that odd return, but it does that for me too. My guiding is a little
better than you mention--but not that different (using the RMS in Analyze) when using GPG (dec usually < .5, RA usually .7-.9 or so) in Silicon Valley.

Here's my run from last night (7:30pm to 4:30am with a meridian flip around 10:15pm) as shown in Analyze (plotting RMS and image HFR).

You can see that, during the best parts of the night, between 11pm to 1:30am, it seemed to have an RMS in the .6 or .7 range, but later on it was pretty close to 1.0.
I assume this has to do with sky conditions more than mount, but not 100% sure. The image HFRs get worse with the worse guiding.

I don't tend to calibrate much. I've used the PHD2 advice of calibrating "well" once and then re-using the calibration, and this seems to work well
for me in KStars. (I added the capability to reuse calibrations in KStars several months ago).

Honestly, though I wish the calibration plots looked better, that weird (yellow) line is the DEC return, and my DEC guiding is quite good, I believe, so it doesn't concern me much.

Also, if you haven't noticed, if you click the options button on the Guider tab, and then click on the Calibration section, the actual angles
calculated for RA and DEC are printed, so you can see how close to 90 degrees yours are.

Hy
3 years 3 months ago #64773
Attachments:

Hy, thank you for chiming in.

Your explanations as one of the maintaining developers of the analyze
part of the source code are very useful.

It is comforting to read that the Dec return axis of the plot does not
effect the actual guiding so much.

The charts in the Statistics section of the Analyzer Tab give a good overview. It
would be terrific if the underlying data could be further analyzed by Kstars
which could report its finding (e.g. misalignment, mechanical issues pp) back to the user.

You are right, I was not aware of the calculated angles in the
Calibration section.

Would you advise to calibrate once in a while
with the guide star standing near the intersection of the meridian and
the celestial equator and re-use this calibration?