INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Power supply question

• Thank you received: 25
Hello,

I have many power adapters all of which are 12v DC with different amps. My question is can I get a single 12VDC power supply with let's say 20-25 AMPS and feed all equipment at once or this will damage my devices?
3 years 3 months ago #65051

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by Joaquin on topic Power supply question

It should work with no harm.
I use a ham radio 9-15V 30A Switched Power Supply to power all my gear.
30A is overkilling (probably 10A is also more than enough) but I couldn’t find anything smaller with voltmeter and amperimeter included (and the price of these power sources is reasonable).
I modified the voltage regulator potentiometer to work in the range 11-13V. I was worried of starting it with the setting at 15V and burnt something. These power sources can be set for a fixed voltage of 13.8V but I prefer to work at 12.5V.

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Joaquin.
3 years 3 months ago #65063
Attachments:

Replied by Mohamed on topic Power supply question

Thank you jabian for the tip and confirmation...
3 years 3 months ago #65069

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Power supply question

I've been using this the past 2 years: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XW76584/ref..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's not nearly as nice looking as @jabian's, and it needs to be plugged in, so is only good when you're near power, however, it has been reliable.
I stuck it in a plastic box, as it clearly should have its metal contacts protected, and turn it on and off with a powerstrip.

Hy
3 years 3 months ago #65070

Replied by Mohamed on topic Re:Power supply question

Thank you Hy

Thank you
Mohamed
3 years 2 months ago #65666

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Power supply question

I have something very similar which is branded "Nevada PSW-30", not been able to use it yet, but have used its little brother the "Nevada PS-08".

The PS-08 has a 5A Cigarette Lighter socket, plus a 6A (8A surge) connectors for ring-tongues.
The PSW-30 has a 10A Cigarette Lighter socket, plus a 30A ring-tongues connectors (at the back).

I imagine internally they are the same power board internally, although your one has a digital voltmeter & amp meter, mine has a analogue one, which you have to switch between for Vs vs As.

Reason for upgrading from the 5A to the 10A, was I got a PPBA, and had some issues with 5A. I plan to just use the 10A cigarette output into the PPBA, and possibly power the mount via a fused 5A Ciggarette cable on the ring-tongues output should I still have issues.
3 years 2 months ago #65675
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by Joaquin on topic Power supply question

There are several of these, all very alike. I prefer the digital meters because are easier to read from a few meters away.
I have several of these supplies for my ham radio station but I have never used the cigarette connector. I feel it is not safe/robust and could produce problems if it moves accidentally. Thus, I always get the power from the rear connectors, with the cable crimped to the ring connectors and, additionally, soldered to them. No sparks on my room.
3 years 2 months ago #65694

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds