INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Handbook volunteers

• Thank you received: 559
I was wondering if there were some folks interested in updating the kstars handbook.
It's pretty out of date.

@airscott has volunteered to look over the guiding section.
How about other sections? How about the thing as a whole?
Would be great if someone with some flair for technical writing took a crack at managing the process.

FWIW, the instructions for making edits to the handbook are in the kstars readme file.
See invent.kde.org/education/kstars#making-updates-to-the-handbook
I know that's brief, but if things are not clear, please ask in this thread and I'd be happy to expand on it.

It's certainly a "nerdy process" -- you write your updates in a markup language, you need to use git to get the source material and to submit the merge request to have your edits accepted, but if you can handle the command-line, you'd get support from me and others in the community. Ideally someone steps up to take charge of the whole thing, perhaps interacting with others who step up to take on sections.

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giles
3 years 2 months ago #65669

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Handbook volunteers

Yes, I did look at that page, and I got as far as creating HTML from a checked out git.

Unfortunately, beyond that point my eyes kind of glaze over with a bit of a blank look...
3 years 2 months ago #65686

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Handbook volunteers

Sorry if it's not clear. I'd be happy to help you or someone else make some small changes to get the process going.
If you can get to the point of generating the html, then look at the html pages you generate, e.g. by open the files in a browser, and think of something simple to change,
I'll help you do that (either on this forum, or over a video chat). Let me know if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Hy
3 years 2 months ago #65708

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Jon Carleton on topic Handbook volunteers

I'll give it a look. Do you have a specific roadmap or order of priority? I can do Skype if you like.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 2 months ago #65709

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Handbook volunteers

Jon,
I've messaged you on the forum. Please drop me an email and we can discuss, set up a video chat, ...

Bottom line, no--I don't have a roadmap. Hoping for someone to take this on, take charge, develop one, sell his/her vision.
Of course, Jasem needs to approve the roadmap and changes, etc.

Hy
3 years 2 months ago #65713

• Thank you received: 53

Replied by Ken Self on topic Handbook volunteers

I'd like to contribue if I can. It looks like a big job and there is also the question of the split between the handbook and indilib.org/individuals/ekos-kstars.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim
3 years 2 months ago #65735

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Jon Carleton on topic Handbook volunteers

@Kengs: I'd like to assist. I have spoken to Hy and looked at the project requirements and can provide what is needed technically. Perhaps we can get together by phone, zoom or Skype and discuss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim, Hy Murveit
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 2 months ago #65776

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds