I was using this feature last night in the northern hemisphere and doing a polar alignment away from the pole. I found the correction vectors recommended wherein the wrong direction. Also adjusting say Altitude the star never travelled along the yellow line or anywhere near it. So what I ended up doing was looking at the length of each vector and then moving the star that length for the corresponding direction.
I am using a Celestron AVX mount connected via HC and a 6 " RC scope with an AA26C camera. KSTARS is 3.5.2 stable build.
Is there something I need to check or configure to correct this performance?
As the problem that I experience is somewhat similar to what
describes (when turning the knobs on my EQ6R the movement of the stars is not alligned to the vectors displayed): what log should be activated to be able to record helpful input here? The weather might allow me to have a session in the next days so I might be able to get some data that might be valuabe to help to narrow it down.
Standard setup: EQ6R, Williams Megrez 72- ASI 533MC -ZWO EAF, 50 mm viewfinder - ASI 120MM
Sorry I found it after that I wrote the post. At this time I am going out of mind with my EQ6 mount that is not stable on the tripod base, I can't lock it after each azimuth correction during the polar alignment procedure
To expand on what Jasem said, I suspect that our mapping of coordinates to pixels (not in the center of the image) can be off for certain types of setups.
Specifically images that astronomy.net considers parity=positive, which means they are mirrored relative to the other type of images.
For example, it looks like images from prime-focus telescopes (e.g. RASA) are mirrored in this way, whereas the more common telescope/camera pairs
do not have this issue. This is still a suspicion, and not confirmed. I'm trying to debug with one tester.
Re logging, how about something like this (or more logging):
Bottom line, I suspect that log files that contain output with this line:are fine, but ones where the parity is instead detected as "pos" may be problematic right now.
Without chasing down the problem, I can confirm that the new polar alignment scheme does not work with my RASA/CGX-L config. The symptom is as previously described; the motion in each mount axis does not correlate to the drawn vectors. Worse, the results are not sufficiently repeatable to warrant trust without verification. After confirming many times that the results were different each time invoked, (verified with drift aligns after each attempt over several nights), I gave up on the feature and returned to other align methods. Just a heads-up to folks to not blindly trust this feature without doing verification by drift align if it matters to you..... CS Doug
I'm as well facing different results from the new polar alignment. One time it worked like magic and didn't touch the scope for 3 nights, and it was one of my best images, but a few days ago (in a different location up the north US), I spent 2 hours trying to perform polar alignment and I was getting different results each time I'm close to the match, and I had to stop with 50" error. To be fair, I will try again tonight and will share my results.
PS: During the last session I also tried the PHD polar drift align, but also it has variable inconsistent results
Forgot to mention that both sessions were done using my portable setup WO Z61, iOptron SmartEQ Pro+, Pi 4 Kstars/Indi, MyFocuserPro2, ZWO OAG with ASI120MM guide, ASI183MM Pro, ZWO EFW (LRGBHaS2O3)
C9.25 f/10, HEQ5, MyFocuserPro2, OAG, ASI174MC guide, ASI533MC Pro