INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:New Polar Alignment Scheme and Features

• Thank you received: 4

Nothing to worry about. Because -in the absence of gremlins- the simulator is perfectly polar aligned the result of my first try was not a triangle but a short green line. So you are right: to work with the simulator you have to misalign the simulator.
Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
3 years 2 months ago #65804
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 49
I think so, although I haven't used the software mount control before to execute a precise angular movement. I suppose if the 60° could be activated automatically when you click on the start button that woulld be ideal!
3 years 2 months ago #65805
  • Thank you received: 1
How do I get this? My view of the SCP is blocked by 2 enormous trees.
3 years 2 months ago #65822
  • Thank you received: 559
Rene,

I want to make sure you understand that this is experimental software that is not yet released. I've tested best I can, and the next step moving towards a release is getting volunteers to use/test the software and (gently) feed back bugs and suggestions for improvements. You can be a tester if you like--in fact I'd love to have southern hemisphere testers.

Given that disclaimer, here are two possible ways to get the program (do one or the other):

1) Compile KStars from source. Many people who test early software on the forum have the capability to compile KStars. If that is you too, great! If you're not used to compiling software, probably best to try approach #2. To compile and install, follow the instructions in: indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-buil...st-libindi-ekos.html (probably you just need the KStars part).
In those instructions, I'd replace -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug with -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo

2) Download the "nightly build". See the "Nightly Builds" section in: indilib.org/download.html. These instructions apply to Linux. I don't know how to get Mac or Windows nightly builds, but it may be possible--if someone knows, please reply. I just checked and this new polar-align code is included in the current nightly build for the Ubuntu 20.04 linux system I have. After you've installed, make sure that when you run kstars, in the KStars --> Help --> About KStars menu it says "Version 3.5.2 Beta".

Again, note that you'll be getting the latest experimental KStars and Indi code, not the more tested releases. You may get other changes besides this one.
You should be able to go back to the standard release following the instructions also on indilib.org/download.html.

Feel free to follow-up if you have further questions,
Hy
3 years 2 months ago #65823
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Hy. As it happens I'm a software tester by trade so this is in my wheel-house.

I'll install the nightly build and give it a try. How would you like any bugs to be reported?

Rene
3 years 2 months ago #65824
Rene--you're perfect! Thanks.

Reporting bugs and suggestions on this thread is fine.
Most of the details you need should be in my original posting above, but, of course, feel free to post questions.
Also, as I mentioned, I've only tested with the simulator for southern hemisphere, so I'm looking forward to live tests from the south.

Thanks again,
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: ouioui01
3 years 2 months ago #65826
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi,
for Windows nightly build, just download from here : binary-factory.kde.org/job/KStars_Nightly_win64/

Regards

PS: only tested with simulator
3 years 2 months ago #65831
  • Thank you received: 5
I compiled the latest build on Astroberry, and the new polar alignment seems to work very well! Thanks a lot! A miss Polaris of about 10 degree so I could not use the old one. I tried pointing near the meridian about 20 degree south of the North Pole and the new procedure allowed me to align to about 2’ quite easily (value confirmed also by phd2).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 2 months ago #65897
Great to hear. Out of curiosity, what PHD2 method did you use to confirm the alignment--e.g. Drift Align? Guiding Assistant?
3 years 2 months ago #65899
  • Thank you received: 5
I used Guiding Assistant
3 years 2 months ago #65906
  • Thank you received: 20
Hy, this is great. Like the others, I can't wait to try it.

How sensitive is the decomposition into separate az and alt lines to leveling errors? I.e. if my mount's off level, adjusting az is going to also affect alt as well. Does the math take this into account just from the motion of the scope somehow, or is it always a right triangle?

Just asking, not complaining. At all! In the very worst case, the star wouldn't track the triangle precisely but the overall guidance would still be excellent.
3 years 2 months ago #65981
You can try it anytime you like--by using the nightlies. It's there.

Upon reflection, you are right that although it directs you to turn the elevation knob, if your mount is not level,
then that won't quite do the trick and you'd have to improvise.
Clearly best to level the mount as best as possible.

Still, if you iterate, you'd likely get close to a good alignment in any case.

Hy
3 years 2 months ago #65982
Time to create page: 0.835 seconds