INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Need help with GPS

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Ronald Scotti on topic Need help with GPS

I apologize for hijacking this tread, but my situation is very similar and it looks like the OP has solved his issue. As you can probably tell we have had a week of clouds and rain here on the east coast and so I needed something to do :P

Summarizing from previous posts:

My gps module is a standard Ultimate GPS from Adafruit. Originally, I had it attached to the PIO pins, but then opted for a serial USB connection so I could just plug it into one of the USB 2.0 slots on the RPi 4. I have 'rules' set up so that the gps is recognized on dev/ttyUSB0 --simlink to -- /dev/ttyGPS. I am trying to figure out why the gpspanel and astropanel work when I boot from an SD card, but not when I boot from the SSD drive, whose image came from the same card. There does seem to be some difference between the version, so I must have done some update with the SSD in the past couple of months (although I don't remember the gpspanel ever working in the SSD configuration).

If I don't modify the /etc/default/gpsd file to include DEVICE = "/dev/ttyGPS", nothing works (not gpsmon, cgps, or EKOS with GPSD and not the gpspanel). If I add that Device line to that file than everything but the gps (and astro)panels work fine. The gpspanel just sits there waiting for a fix, while every other program show a clean 3D fix. The virtualgps is inactive, so there should not be a conflict; both gpsd and gpsd.socket are active at startup after reboot and it looks like only one instance of the gps daemon was started.

it is a bit of a puzzle and I was just hoping that something I 'said' might trigger somebody's memory about a similar situation.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 1 month ago #66862

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Ronald Scotti on topic Need help with GPS

I went to the Wiki here: www.astroberry.io/docs/index.php?title=A..._geographic_location and followed the instructions for running the virtual gps. I unplugged my gps and started the virtual gps service and gpsd as it is needed. The Astropanel continues to show Warsaw and 'waiting' I can stop that service and restart it (and reload the panel) and it shows the same. But now if I run gpsmon, cgps or xgps they all show the source of the data as /tmp/vgps (the virtual gps) and their location is what is in the file /etc/location.conf. So they work, but the gpspanel does not!?

As you can tell my programming skills are basically 'hunt and peck.' I don't think I am going to be able to figure this out on my own, so it will likely have to stay this way.
3 years 1 month ago #66867

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds