INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Support for Orion StarShoot G3 CCD

• Thank you received: 9
Good summary Ben. I’ve been too distracted by other things but would like to have the G3 as an option. Happy to try and pick this up again although some bits might take a while.

Bob
2 years 9 months ago #72634

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry, you guys are correct. The StarshootG drivers are for the new generation Orion cameras only. It doesn't appear there are any drivers from the older generation cameras.
2 years 9 months ago #72639

• Thank you received: 29
David, if you really want a camera that "just works" in the near future, you might consider buying a camera that's known to work with INDI. That said, it sounds like a few of us would be willing to try and get the G3 going. That might take a day, a week, or a month. My guess is a week is close, but my crystal ball isn't perfect. Even if you get another camera, I'm interested in getting the G3 working just so that other users can benefit.
2 years 9 months ago #72641

• Thank you received: 13
Hi Ben. OK I am in. I am prepared to do some practical work like coding if that helps. I would be interested in getting a detailed look at Indi driver writing anyway. I can do some testing as well. I guess this will involve serial port sniffing to work out the comms. protocols.
2 years 9 months ago #72642

Sounds great! I just posted in the thread where we started the development for this camera (indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/7276-orion-....html?start=24#72665).
2 years 9 months ago #72666

Hi Ben. I have installed the G3 driver you just updated and to my delight found a new entry under others for the starshoot G3.  Attempted a default 1 sec exposure and crashed. Log attached. Anything I can do to help please ask.
2 years 9 months ago #72685
Attachments:

Thanks, I have an idea of what's wrong and will take a look tonight.
2 years 9 months ago #72687

After you have taken that lovely dog for a walk?
2 years 9 months ago #72693

She's a lot bigger now :)

The problem is that it seems you don't have permission to connect to the device. To double check, if you do lsusb you will a list of USB devices connected to your computer. The camera is labeled something like "Torex" and you should see the numbers "0722:0502". A different part of the line will show "Bus" and "Device". Then do the following:

ls -alh /dev/bus/usb/${BUS}/${DEVICE}

where ${BUS} and ${DEVICE} are the bus and device values from the line of lsusb that corresponds to the camera. You should see something like:

bgilsrud@lyra:~/lpig/indi-3rdparty/indi-orion-ssg3$ ls -alh /dev/bus/usb/001/004
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 3 Jun 21 22:10 /dev/bus/usb/001/004

We want to make sure that you have write access to the device so we want to see it show "crw-rw-rw-". If you don't see that, do:

sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
sudo udevadm trigger

Then check that file again, if you see that it shows "crw-rw-rw-", then try the driver again. If you don't, you can do:
chmod 666 /dev/bus/usb/${BUS}/${DEVICE}

and then try the driver.

2 years 9 months ago #72707

Hi Ben got further. Tried a one second exposure now get: CCD capture aborted. Capture failed. Check Indi Control Panel for details. Nothing relevant reported on the Indi control Panel.
  • udevadm didnt work so I had to use chmod. I notice on reboot the file permissions revert back crw-rw-r--
  • First time I tried taking an exposure it complained I hadn't saved the configuration under the Options Tab. Minor point.
  • I notice after it fails to take an exposure the red LED in the back of the camera is off. I have to restart Kstars to get it back on-line.
I have a raspberry pi 4 in the observatory and a pi 3 in the study for testing. The pi 4 I built using the latest astroberry image file. The pi 3 I updated from previous version of Indi to latest version earlier this year before the astroberry image had been updated because it fixed a LX200 driver problem. I have a lingering doubt if permissions or something are not quite correct on pi 3 and it might be best rebuild from latest astroberry image.  I mention this just in case this compounds the problem. However Kstars runs OK on the pi 3 so its probably not an issue.

2 years 9 months ago #72715
Attachments:

I found and fixed the bug that was causing the permission problem. I also added some code to debug the capture issue. On a side note, I was able to verify the USB commands that the driver is sending to start the exposure and it looks correct to me. Can you pull and try again and send the log?

Thanks,
Ben
2 years 9 months ago #72724

Ben, same error as last time. CCD capture Aborted.  I can see a new device file is created now with correct permissions.
2 years 9 months ago #72727
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.608 seconds