INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Support for Orion StarShoot G3 CCD

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ben. I think I'm really close. I had to install Git, Cmake and Build Essentials to get there but I'm still getting stuck. This part of Linux isn't my strong suit. Here's where I'm stuck.
CMake Error at /home/stellarmate/indi-3rdparty/cmake_modules/FindINDI.cmake:285 (message):
Could not find INDI include directory
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:16 (find_package)
2 years 7 months ago #74223

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
I think you need to install libindi-dev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steven
2 years 7 months ago #74224

Sucess!! Sort of. I had to rollback libindi1 and install libcfitsio-dev along with linindi-dev but finally got the driver to install and after restarting KStars I got it to connect. It doesn't give me a live view thoguh. But I'm not sure if that is a feature fo this camera. I assume it should be. In any casee I'm alot further along than I was. Thanks Ben.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Steven.
2 years 7 months ago #74225

Im glad to hear it. Are you able yo capture an image? Just knowing that the image doenload works would be helpful
2 years 7 months ago #74230

Yes, I can confirm that if I click on Capture a Preview, it takes a picutre and I can save it to my home/stellarmate/pictures folder. Do you know why I can't see a live view? Or is that just the model fo camera I have? As far as I know itshould give me a live view?

I have also experienced the KStars/Ekos app just closing after I take a photo. Not every time, but twice now since I've got it connected. No error, no crahs report the app just closes out and I have to go back to my phone and reconnect everything, I then get a message that another instance of INDI is running etc... However it starts right back up and reconnects. 
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Steven.
2 years 7 months ago #74234

The driver doesn't support streaming, which is what I'm assuming is required for live view to work.

I suspect that app closing that you're seeing is a driver crash. It would be helpful to debug if you could capture a log and backtrace: www.indilib.org/forum/general/571-read-b...support-request.html
2 years 7 months ago #74265

Actaully the app crashing while saving a capture turned out to be a folder permissions issue. I was trying to save directly to an SMB share and did not write permissions. Will there be a driver that supports streaming at somne point?
2 years 7 months ago #74274

Whew, thanks Steven!

As far as I know, then hardware doesn't provide any special support for streaming but it seems like it could be simulated by just looping exposures. I'm wondering what the use case for live view for this camera is? Are you trying to use it for focusing?
2 years 7 months ago #74340

No, I just wanted to know if it would live stream on the off cahnce I want to use it to just view objects rather than photograph. I sometimes do that and wondered if it would be possible remotely in the comfort of my home. I access the equipment remotely using VNC. Just curious is all.
2 years 7 months ago #74341

• Thank you received: 5
Hey everyone.  I am the one who originally started this thread years ago.  I am amazed to see the work that has been done in the meantime on getting the G3 supported and wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I have set up a build environment on my laptop and built both INDI from source as well as the 3rd party driver collection from source as well (building the drivers requires INDI to be built from source right now because the libindi-dev package is apparently missing a bunch of headers which were refactored recently).  The code compiles and loads correctly, however I am getting some bugs with the camera (the one you have been developing against is the G3 color model, mine is the G3 monochrome).  The camera operates well enough to capture a few frames, but every 3 or so frames the camera locks up and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in again.  Also, in the downloaded images every other line is reading a zero value for every pixel.  So half the lines are correct and the other half are zero (like an interlaced frame with one subframe dropped).  This doesn't actually surprise me all that much because the images I have taken in the past have all appeared "interlaced" where the camera is clearly reading half the lines, and then going back and reading the other half so every other line is a bit brighter than the ones on either side of it.

I think both the camera lockups and the zero lines are both from the same issue, and I suspect it is an easy one to solve.  My suspicion is it is just due to the color version having more pixels to read even though the resolution is the same due the the 2x2 bayer matrix.  I am going to try poking around in the code a bit, but wanted to post here with a description of the issue just so others with more knowledge can have a look in case it is obvious where to start.  Ideally I would get some usb captures from a windows box, as has been done for the color camera, but all my computers are linux only.  I have a friend with a windows machine so I might try to get usb packet dumps from that but going to bash at the code a bit first and see if I can just fix it directly.

Thank you again to all of you -- this thread is a beautiful example of open source development and showing how people can do things for themselves, rather than just waiting for the company to support it (which it looks like Orion doesn't plan to).  I will post an update later today with what I have learned (maybe not much since I haven't done driver work before) and will keep an eye on the thread here if anyone has questions/suggestions.
2 years 5 months ago #76697

So I have started poking around in the code and right off the bat I see a couple things.  First is that you have the CCD pixel size as 8.6x8.4 microns.  This disagrees with what is online, both the color and the monochrome list as 8.6x8.3 microns.  Just a minor issue, and not going to crash the camera but it should be changed unless the info online is wrong.

On a more technical note in the orion_ssg3_model struct you declare a 2 element array one for the color and one for mono.  You have 0x7ee:0x502 for the color and 0x7ee:0x501 for the mono with a comment indicating the 501 is a guess.  Unfortunately it looks like this guess (which was perfectly reasonable) does not turn out to be correct.  I will paste a lsusb -vv below.  From what I can understand my monochrome also reports 0x502, meaning we can't differentiate color/mono based on that number.  I don't really know much about the USB protocol descriptors, so hopefully there is something else in there that can distinguish the two.

Here is lsusb -vv for my camera.

Bus 003 Device 007: ID 07ee:0502 Torex Retail (formerly Logware) AVR32 UC3 USB DEVICE
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x07ee Torex Retail (formerly Logware)
  idProduct          0x0502
  bcdDevice           11.02
  iManufacturer           1 ATMEL
  iProduct                2 AVR32 UC3 USB DEVICE
  iSerial                 3 1.0.0.0.0.0.A
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0020
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x06  EP 6 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval             100
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered
2 years 5 months ago #76699

Ok, so a bit more exploring and unfortunately the lsusb information that Bob posted looks pretty much identical to mine (after ignoring the whitespace differences.  As far as I can tell distinguishing the difference between the two camera will require actually asking the camera something and looking at the response.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 5 months ago #76700

Time to create page: 0.634 seconds