INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

MaxDome issues

• Thank you received: 19

MaxDome issues was created by Chris Ryan

I'm running INDI on a Raspberry PI 2.

I'm having a number of issues with the MaxDome driver operation.

Occasionally the dome will just start rotating even though no other movement seems to have been applied. I think it heads to 0 or North. My home position is South or approx 180 (I actually use 183).

The dome when slaved waits until the telescope has reached the end of the slew and does not anticipate the change - it should have enough information to do so I would think? Also when slaving, I am wondering if it thinks I'm in the northern hemisphere (I'm in the south) as it does not go to where I expect it to.

Finally, can I get some confirmation/clarity on the slaving settings in the driver? I assume the various measurement values are to do with the size of the dome and the placement of the mount within the dome? What's the autosync threshold value?
8 years 3 months ago #6178

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Ferran Casarramona on topic MaxDome issues

Regarding to dome rotating without reason, try to activate debug. Look if coordinates received from telescope are received ok.

Yes, dome slaving was designed to slew when telescope stops moving because dome snoopes actual telescope coordinates (not target coordinates). Moving at the same time as telescope is doable, but not a priority now because slaving is on "beta" mode. It generally works but not tested extensively.

When you say it does not go to where expected it to, can you be more explicit? Is it point to oposite direction? Or just slightly off? It should work in any hemisphere, but not tested. Any indication will help to correct any issue. Also dome snoopes from telescope the geographical coordinates, try to activate debug to verify correct coordinates are received.

Regarding to slave settings, keep in mind the ideal position for a telescope inside a dome is to put the point where RA and Dec axis cross at the center of the dome. Because this is not always possible or difficult, slave settings allow to configure distances from this ideal position.

Radius is for the radius of the dome.
Shutter width is the clearance of the shutter of the dome. In a future version this will allow to calculate how much time the telescope can slew without been obstructed by the dome to minimize dome movements.

N displacement is for North displacement. If telescope is not in his ideal position this parameter allows to configure how much it is displaced from the center. Displacement to north are positive, and to south are negative.
E displacement is for East displacement. Similar as the above, displacement to east are positive, and to west are negative.
Up displacement is for displacement in the vertical axis. Up is positive, down is negative.
OTA offset is for the distance of the optical axis to the crossing point of AR and DEC. In fork mount this is generally 0, but for German like mounts is the distance from mount axis cross to the center line of the telescope.

Autosync threshold is the minimum distance autosync will move the dome. Any moving below this threshold will not be done. This is to prevent continuous dome moving during telescope tracking.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 years 3 months ago #6201

I forget a new "feature" in slaving.

Meridian side is for establish which side of the meridian the telescope is. This is relevant for German mounts, because the difference in tube position in one side of the meridian or the other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 years 3 months ago #6203

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic MaxDome issues

I updated the MaxDome II device page, but I think it needs more documentation with screenshots...etc, so any additional info for the page is welcome!!
8 years 3 months ago #6207

Sure! is in my "ToDo" list.
8 years 3 months ago #6213

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by Chris Ryan on topic MaxDome issues

I'll have to re-test this again later. After my last update (which I saw included a new indi maxdome), the pi is failing to connect to the dome altogether - it just keeps trying and getting an EOF. The device seems to be seen ok according to dmesg.
8 years 3 months ago #6219

This had happened to me also! But after local compiling indi driver works Ok.

Jasem, Can you take a look? I happens just only invoking indi_maxdomeii (no need to communicate to dome or client).
8 years 3 months ago #6251

I did and indeed it crashes in Ekos VM. No idea why. I updated the version number and added a debug package, so it should rebuild soon. Let's see what happens then.
8 years 3 months ago #6273

8 years 3 months ago #6277

There was an issue with the debian packaging which is now fixed. Hopefully it will be available in the next few hours.
8 years 3 months ago #6278

Hi Jasem,

After updating packages with Muon, indi_maxdomeii was missing in /usr/bin

Is this intended?

Thanks.
8 years 3 months ago #6285

No, it was another debian build issue. The pix was pushed 7 hours ago so hopefully in a few hours it will be again. I tested it locally the debian package builds OK.
8 years 3 months ago #6286

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds