INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver for older Orion Starshoot Deep Space Imager

• Thank you received: 19
I've been doing some more USB sniffing to try and understand more about this camera. I wanted to just try some simple tests to connect to it but I have failed miserably. My first approach was in thinking that since the Meade DSI cameras have the same Cypress chip, that I could just swap out the firmware files and change the vid/pid info and at least get a connection. That simply doesn't/won't/can't work. I decided it might be best to try and build from the generic-ccd drive, since it seems less complicated, to at least get a simple connection. I am not able to get the code snippet referenced in generic-ccd.cpp to compile after using and #include<usb.h>. The snippet below gives an error: undefined reference to `usb_get_busses'
cameraCount = 0;
     for (struct usb_bus *bus = usb_get_busses(); bus && cameraCount < MAX_DEVICES; bus = bus->next) {
       for (struct usb_device *dev = bus->devices; dev && cameraCount < MAX_DEVICES; dev = dev->next) {
         int vid = dev->descriptor.idVendor;
         int pid = dev->descriptor.idProduct;
         for (int i = 0; deviceTypes[i].pid; i++) {
           if (vid == deviceTypes[i].vid && pid == deviceTypes[i].pid) {
             cameras[i] = new GenericCCD(dev, deviceTypes[i].name);
             break;
           }
         }
       }
     }
I am very much a novice with c++ development and also developing in Linux in general. I think that perhaps I am missing something with regards to linking usb.h to the compiler but don't understand what or how to do that using make files.......

--Jon
7 years 8 months ago #9204

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Great timing, I just started looking into this too....

I think we can split the research into two sections:
1) Plug in and enumeration
2) Image capture

Plug in and enumeration would be where firmware upload, if it does it, would occur. I'm not sure if the USB sniffing tools I have can do this. Can anyone else get a dump during this phase?

I've created a dump, of image capture, using Wireshark Version 2.2.0 (v2.2.0-0-g5368c50 from master-2.2) and the bundled version of USBPcapCMD (1.1.0.0-g794bf26-5).
It consists of starting MaximDL, capturing a 5 second frame, and then closing MaximDL.

I've configured the fan speed to be low. When the camera is plugged into USB, the fan stays high until the MaximDL software is started. It's a nice indicator of important USB activity.

I've attached the dump here, but if that doesn't work you can download from Dropbox: www.dropbox.com/s/tj2l2m873sf6e1g/sspro-...photo.pcapng.xz?dl=0
7 years 6 months ago #10229
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 19
Are we talking about the same camera? I wasn't aware that the DSCI II had a controllable fan. Anyway, I pretty much abandoned working on the driver since INDI Server for Windows gave me access to the ASCOM driver for the camera.
I do have a firmware dump for the DSCI II camera but was never really clear on if I could freely post it here.

--Jon
7 years 6 months ago #10230

• Thank you received: 0
Ah, maybe not. I have the Starshoot Pro V2.0 Deep Space Color.
www.telescope.com/Orion-StarShoot-Pro-V2...g-Camera/p/52085.uts

Good to hear that you got yours working. I'll keep chugging away and see if I can make any more progress with mine.

I really want my camera to work under Linux. I tried Windows on a Minnowboard MAX, but it decided not to boot one night, and I didn't like having to lug a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and inverter, 600' to my backyard to try to fix it. I ended up having to do a complete reinstall. Bleh.
7 years 6 months ago #10243

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds