INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can Kstars be rolled back by copying directories and files from a working system with Kstars 3.5.0?

• Thank you received: 17
All,
I have an SSD running Ubuntu 20.1 with a working Kstars 3.5.0.  It is formated as a single large disk (250 Gb) so I cannot just duplicate it to an SD card.  The original SD card has been updated to Kstars 3.5.3 and is having all the issues of that version.  Can I copy Kstars directories and files from the SSD to the updated SD card to restore Kstars to version 3.5.0?  I should have saved the original SD card image with Kstars 3.5.0, but did not.  So while I have a working system with the SSD I do not have a back up.

I will try it (not much to loose at this time) but just asking in case someone had successfully done this and found the right way to do it or issues.  

thanks.

2 years 11 months ago #70713

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
There is another post today that says that Kstars (stable) 3.5.3 works fine. So I would just purge Kstars and Indi from your SD card and restore Kstars from the stable directory.
Definitely the fastest method, I would think.
2 years 11 months ago #70736

• Thank you received: 41
Hi Ronald,

I don't think that you can just copy files over because many of the links won't work.
It is a while since I set my system up but I think this is how I did it. (below)
Provided your hard drive/SSD is not full with data you can create an image of only the data rather than the empty space on the drive with GParted which is a free app in Linux. Even 125GB SDs are pretty cheap as a back up or just save the image to a hard drive on your PC. You could create more than one partition on your drive and keep your base programs on the one and all your FITS files (if you save direct to the local drive). That way you only need to back up the smaller partition that reflects the system. You can back up the data (FITS files with just copy and paste).
Take a look at GParted it is a great program!
I think that there is an option in the Raspberry Pi SD creator program to image only the data on the SD/SSD/Hard drive too although I don't use this option currently. It is likely that someone more technically competent than I knows a better way.

Mike
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Spartacus.
2 years 11 months ago #70745

• Thank you received: 17
I fully anticipate that Kstars 3.5.3 will be completely functional and stable, so maintaining and upgrading IS likely the best approach. However, I was curious if anyone had tried to restore to an earlier version by copying over the kstars directories. I would just like to have a backup of 3.5.0 as a starting point. I am familiar with Gparted and I may be able to erase or move all my image files off the SSD and reduce the partition size to something that would fit on an SD card. But it would be easier to just copy directories if that worked.

thanks,
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Ronald Scotti. Reason: corrections
2 years 11 months ago #70753

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds