INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mac 3.5.2 stable plate solving now failing to find stars -

• Thank you received: 1
Since early Feb. I've been using the 3.5.2 stable Mac version (Mojave 10.14.6) and it worked well in Feb. and March, fixing the problems with Canon CR3 files I was having in previous version and plate solving module (w/ ASTAP) was working faster than ever.    After a lot more bad winter-spring weather I was trying to image again in early May.   Immediately found plate solving would not work as giving me this error.  Increasing exposure, ISO (DSLR) have no effect.   Looks like plenty of stars in the plate solving image.  I get the same error using two different guide scopes or two diff. main scopes.  I installed the latest Mac version of ASTAP last night and get the same error.   I get the same error in the Simulator modes.  And, I'm not really sure what or where the "Setup Tab" is...    I see here is yet another Mac beta version released recently, but am reluctant to install until I understand why this problem only now comes up after 3..5.2 worked a few weeks ago.  "Please check you have sufficient stars in the image. Enable Alignment Logging in Setup Tab -> Logs to get detailed information on the failure."
Can someone PLEAAASSSEE explain whats going on and if there is a fix?   thanks.  
2 years 10 months ago #71050

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Note that you can have more than one version of the KStars Mac program on your computer.  I have really tried to make sure that they would act totally independently.  So you can download a test version or a beta, put it someplace else on your computer, play with it, and you don't have to replace the original KStars.
2 years 10 months ago #71058

Are you saying that you are using ASTAP with the INDI Simulator CCD driver, that there are stars in the image, and that you try to plate solve and it doesn't solve?  Based on what you said, I assume you had ASTAP installed and working well with a previous KStars version with StellarSolver, so that is not the issue?

Is it pointing near the pole?  Could you try a different area of the sky?  maybe select an area with different or more stars?

I just tried plate solving with ASTAP with simulators on the latest Beta and it solved right away
2 years 10 months ago #71059

I was successfully using plate solving with ASTAP up until late April when getting some breaks in bad weather, and when I found it would not work with 'real stars', with "not enough stars in image' error. I got stars in simulator images and the same error message... I have not had any clear skies to try again on a real sky but am assuming the simulator is 'not seeing stars' is valid. Not able to find an easy solution or help in from the forum in changing settings or options in plate solving, the past couple days I have deleted 3.5.2 and 3.5.3 including all the Library directories and file per the Readme install directions. I installed a 'clean' copy of 3.5.3 (Mac) today and I now I get loaded several index files in the options tab and now I get no stars in simulator images . With nothing but rain and snow and clouds I can't test under a sky but I presume it still fails. Unlless I get some clear answer as to what to fix or change, I'm pretty much done with these constant 'breaks' of Kstars. When it works its great, but seems like every couple months something major is broken and almost no support for non-linux gurus are left to flounder.
2 years 10 months ago #71191

I am still a little confused by what you are saying here. There are several things.

1. You say you would like to use ASTAP, right?  Then I don't understand why you are downloading index files?  ASTAP uses its own database files.  The Astrometry index files are for the Internal StellarSolver solver or the local astrometry.net solver.  Is ASTAP all set up appropriately with its databases installed?  Did you select to use ASTAP in the StellarSolver options?  Did you maybe want to try a different solving method?

2. You said you are getting no stars in the simulator images?  Did you re-download the GSC data files after you wiped out the data directory?  The downloader is in the Startup Wizard.  GSC is too big to distribute with KStars in the DMG and not everybody wants it.

3. There is definitely support in the forums.  I try to help all that I can do, I have had quite a lot more work this year with a full time teaching job where everything has changed due to the pandemic.  I try my best to fix all the Mac bugs that I can and help out folks in the forum.  There are plenty of other people more than willing to help as well.  We are all volunteers and we believe in the project.  I know it has greatly improved my astrophotography in the last several years and many others can say the same.  Sometimes though, it does take some patience, especially when working with a beta.  We really need more people to extensively test the Mac betas and let me know if there is anything wrong with the build so that I can fix it.  Some people do it, but I think we need more.

Thanks,

Rob
2 years 10 months ago #71192

Rob, thanks for your reply questions, I'll try to answer by no..

1. I was using ASTAP the past year because it worked. and there was no Stellasolver When Stellasolver 'appeared' in 3.5.1 (I think thats the first version?) it didn't seem to work so I found the ASTAP option was still there and still worked. I will use whatever works especially if it doesn't require any 'outside' or additional downloads. loaded the index files presuming maybe they would work with one of the options. I've tried all the options of internal solver, ASTAP, Stellasolver etc., in Options and always got the same error of "not enough stars' and now all sim images have no stars at all. If the Stellasolver will work w/o downloading or additional files, I'll use it!

2. I did not see the GSC in the Wizard but was looking for it. I'll check again, but if I don't need to load a huge file I'd prefer not to, as per everyone else...

3. I appreciate all the work you and others do, but non-answers are often the case here. When a developer answer to a user problem is, "it works for me", thats a non-answer I got for 2 decades from the IT dept. where I worked. I get it that there are many many devils to be stomped out in so many interconnected and many variety of equipment standards and software. I'm not familiar with athe other versions, but the Mac version always seems to be in beta. I posted this same problem in your 3.5.3 beta test request. I've got no clue why plate solving would stop working in 3.5.2 after working for months. And now not working in 3.5.3 either. Whether thats due to something in beta that hasn't been tested or something else only you can answer. Unfortunately being a tester is somewhat at 'odds' with being someone who is just a user and needs astro-imaging software to work on those good nights which are sometimes very few. Its great when its works!
2 years 10 months ago #71193

1. So StellarSolver didn't "appear." It was a project that I worked incredibly hard on for 8 months during the pandemic.  The goal is a plate solver that works on Mac, Windows, and Linux and solves extremely fast as a library with very little configuration, no external settings files, and no external programs.  Plate Solving has been extremely tricky to get working on Windows and Mac.  I am trying to make it more beginner friendly and simple, but more powerful at the same time.   I had it perfected in its own world, but then integrating it into KStars was a bit challenging and it took us awhile to work it all out.  Part of the problem was that when I was making StellarSolver, we had been sent home due to the pandemic and I had more time on my hands, but when we were integrating it, I had started back at work and it was at least twice as hard due to the pandemic.  Now it should be pretty good, I haven't heard of many bugs in the last few months, but there still could be some issues here and there.  I would definitely try the internal solver if you can.  If you are not getting enough stars try increasing the exposure time or try a different area of the sky.  You can also try a different options profile.  

2.  I would highly recommend installing GSC so that you can have stars in your simulator images so you can work out issues.  The reason it isn't included in the main release is that some people just use kstars as a planetarium program.  Another reason would be people who already have everything worked out in their system and they never need to use simulators.  For you I would highly recommend it.  I wouldn't say the file is too big compared to what it will do for you.

3.  I don't always see every post people put up asking for help.  I am sure that is true for others as well.  If we see it, we will try to help though.  It was your post in the beta test forum that led me to this post.  I had no idea you had posted this.  Sometimes I have time to browse the forums, but recently I haven't had as much time.  As to diagnosing why your system is not plate solving, I will need more information.  I can tell you that it solves on my system both with ASTAP and StellarSolver using simulators, but to figure out why it doesn't work on your system I will need more information.  I don't know either why it would be working on your system for months and then suddenly not work.  With more information, maybe we can find out.  I think you first need to install the GSC files so you get stars and then try longer exposures.  Also try different methods.

2 years 10 months ago #71195

Thanks Rob, your comment about loading GSC from the Wizard was a good 'clue'. I had looked and thought you meant the Ekos Profile Wizard for the GSC. It has been over a year since installing Kstars 'planetarium' and setting it up, so I had forgotten about the Start Up Wizard there. I downloaded the GSC as well as other catalogs in the wizard to Tycho 2. I tried the mount- Simulator and 'slewed' to M66 (now in south) and plate solving, put up a simulated image (of 10sec) exp) of star field and solved it quickly -already centered. So the Simulator/plate solver now works and I presume with the "internal solver" that is the Stellasolver, is that correct? It will likely be a few days before I can run this on the actual night sky. But I presume/hope all now works.
2 years 10 months ago #71196

That is good news, glad to hear you got it working initially.  Yes, if you selected "Internal Solver" in the StellarSolver options, that is the internal build of astrometry.net that I worked on for months.  I purposefully made stellarsolver to be flexible however, it can also use ASTAP, local astrometry.net, and online astrometry.net as well.  There are some options that might help improve solving such as using different profiles, changing things like exposure time or binning that might be either better or worse on your system.  You also might want to download more index files for the solver (make sure you calculate what size index files you will need and get a few extras around that range.  And I would highly recommend lots of testing and experimenting before going outside to make sure you have it all figured out.  Please let me know if you have more questions.
2 years 10 months ago #71197

Time to create page: 0.667 seconds