I've finally pushed the buy button on my new telescope I got myself a William OpticRedcat 51
Was originally going for a Takahashi Epsilon 130D but went against it for multiple reasons, the cost of the scope + the tools required to collimate such beast was too much in the end. Another reason was running it in my remote observatory, it's a very long way if the collimation goes wrong...
I then got my eyes on a Borg 55FL f/3.6 Astrograph, it's tiny but at a huge price. I couldn't find enough people using it so the reviews out there weren't truly balanced.
Ended up with the RedCat 51, 250mm f/4.9 it's the latest version, the more I read about it the more I got convinced.
I will be pimping it up with some Deep Sky Dad goodies, EAF/rotator/flat panel/DC hub
Kstars Mac osx
Odroid C4 / WO Redcat51 / CEM25p / ZWO533MC / QHY5L-II-M (OAG)
The Redcat is a pretty awesome scope. I've been using it with an APSc sized sensor. Color correction towards the edges is not as good as the center. So your camera will be a great match for both field of view and pixel scale and probably not show much color error in the corners. Basically blue isn't as in focus towards the edges, but you can only really see it if you zoom in 1:1. Pavel has made me items early on for the Redcat (I had one of the first), he's been great to work with, and finally got his new kit after moving from a Moonlite focus motor to the EAF.
Some of the smaller stars are square. I could drizzle possibly to increase the pixel resolution since I've dithered a lot. But now I'm using a 2600MC pro, and I'm about to take that off and use a 294MM pro I have sitting around. I have a whole bunch of cameras that I move around between scopes. But the 294MM pro is probably the best for pixel scale now that they unlocked the smaller pixels.
This is my setup with a WhiteCat51, which is essentially the same as a RecCat51, except that it is white, not red.
I designed and 3D-printed my own autofocuser for it and I am driving it with MyFocuserPro loaded on an Arduino.
Works like a charm! Total cost of all materials: ~$ 40 plus an afternoon of soldering.
If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the 3D STL files so you can build one yourself.
I think this design is superior, because it does not use a belt drive. There is virtually zero backlash in the setup.
And the focus it achieves every time is perfect! Look at the V-curve in the screenshot.
Atlas Pro AZ-EQ, ASI1600MM-Pro, ASI120MM-S, ES102ED, WO-Z61, Nikon D3300, ASI-EFW, ZWO LRGB,Ha,O3,S2 filter set