INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RPi4, Stellarmate and locations without internet access.

• Thank you received: 16
Hi,

Very basic and simple question. I am wanting to go down to a dark site by me that will away from any internet access. So I am sure there is a basic answer ot this basic question, but I just do not know.
So, how would I get internet access on the RPI4 to make sure that the mount/rpi4 knows where it is? Do I need to buy a gps to connect to the rpi4? 
2 years 9 months ago #72346

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just connect the App to StellarMate and it will automatically sync the phone/tablet GPS time/location with StellarMate.
2 years 9 months ago #72348

• Thank you received: 16
Hmm. Okay, I guess this is where I am lost. If I connect over the hotspot from my laptop then how would I still get the internet access/gps location? I am sorry if I am making this difficult, Im just trying to understand. It seems like a source somwehere has to have connection to the internet
2 years 9 months ago #72349

You can just try to connect one from the SM App on the phone/tablet, and it will update time/location, then you don't really need to use it, just close it and then you can start using your laptop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel DeSclafani
2 years 9 months ago #72350

• Thank you received: 559
Just wondering, as a lower-tech alternative, couldn't you just look it up in advance in google maps, and then enter it by hand, e.g. in the Indi Control Panel, mount tab, site management sub-tab?  I'm assuming it doesn't really need to be very exact ( xkcd.com/2170/ ).
Hy

2 years 9 months ago #72354

• Thank you received: 86
Yes, just create a new location in KStars before you go. I do this all the time.
Google coordinates. Don't have to be very accurate.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
2 years 9 months ago #72358

• Thank you received: 8
As the RPi doesn't have a system clock you will need to make sure you update the time when you start up (i.e. it doesn't have a clock powered by a small battery when there is no power at all to the RPi). While I don't run StellarMate I do run my KStars on a RPi and even at home I have issues with WiFi and the RPi has issues getting a GPS fix until I get its time synced. I just use my mobile phone, set up a WiFi hotspot, and have the RPi connect to it. Once the RPi has connected I get a GPS fix within seconds with my GPS dongle. The reason for all that, having the RPi connect to the phone allows for the time to be synced.

You may not need the GPS fix to get the right location if you're just setting up a location in KStars but you will need the date and time up to date so you can point your OTA in the right direction. As Jasem says, you don't need the tethering once it has got the GPS fix similarly it doesn't need the the tethering once it has the correct date and time.
2 years 9 months ago #72379

• Thank you received: 559
Here's another low-tech solution.

You are right that without a RTC or network you'll need to set the time somehow.
A low-tech way to do that is to get the time from your phone and run a shell command similar to the following.

sudo date -s ‘06/16/2021 7:05pm’

Hy
2 years 9 months ago #72380

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds