INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu on mini PC headless…help…

• Thank you received: 140
Hello All.
I am considering moving away from the RPI4 to a mini PC with Ubuntu installed, plus Kstars, and INdI, so then I want to access this mini PC on my mount, via another PC with VNC indoors, what do I need to do for the mount PC to boot to a normal desktop, with no monitor, mouse or keyboard plugged in, I was going to install VNC server and have VNC viewer on my indoor PC…are there any other settings I need to change or add….?
thanks in advance.. :)
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 8 months ago #73407

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57
There are obscure software workarounds, but the easiest solution is a cheap "dummy HDMI plug" that fools the video driver into thinking there's a monitor attached. Costs under $10 and web worth it.

Otherwise just like the pi, only faster.
2 years 8 months ago #73417

• Thank you received: 559
Check out this thread: indilib.org/forum/general/8994-headless-...pberry-pi.html#68256
I was using a raspberry pi, but running Ubuntu not Raspbian, so hoping  the solution there is the same for you, whether RPi4 or mini PC.

Please report back on your choice of mini pc and your review of its performance relative to a RPi (and hopefully relative to an RPi with SSD). 

2 years 8 months ago #73419

• Thank you received: 15
I am having a Dell Optiplex 9020 mini PC with Intel i5 and 8GB ram inside. It is running a dual boot of Windows 10 and Kubuntu headless right now. I can easily switch OS on the field without any issue and without a monitor too.

Tom

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 8 months ago #73420

Hello Tom,
so is there anything special I need to do, when the PC gets here it will have windows 10 on, and I have a second drive to fit to install Ubuntu, I then plan to put VNC server on both windows and Ubuntu, so will it just connect headless with our issue os are there any settings I need to know about..? Also how do you choose the OS without a monitor, as I assumed you had to pick at boot up..?
cheers
2 years 8 months ago #73425

Hello Hy, 
yes I commented in that thread, third one down, but i think it is different with a mini PC to an RPI….hence my question….
2 years 8 months ago #73426

• Thank you received: 15
Hi,

Installation for both OS is the same. Just install realvnc / Nomachine in both. You are good to go.

For the switching OS part, I will let Kubuntu boot up first instead of Windows os. Then I follow this website:

superuser.com/questions/184978/dual-boot-a-headless-machine

and create a script on my kubuntu desktop. Double click on the script file to boot into windows OS when I need it. The mini pc will restart and it will boot into Windows OS instead of Kubuntu.

Hope you enjoy your mini PC with dual boot.

Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
2 years 8 months ago #73428

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds