INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Telescope.Touch INDI client for Android with sky map

• Thank you received: 11
Hello,
I've made an INDI client for Android, Telescope.Touch: github.com/marcocipriani01/Telescope.Tou...ni01/Telescope.Touch
It features full mount & focuser control, object database, planetary goto, INDI control panel and <strong>Sky Map</strong>!
It can be considered a substitute for KStars Lite, which is no longer maintained and used to be really slow.

If someone is interested, the first release is now out!
I would be happy if it could be added to the INDI clients page :)

Edit: link to Google Play Store
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Jim
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Marco Cipriani.
3 years 2 months ago #65761

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bravo! It's done! I presume this would only be available on Android, correct?
3 years 2 months ago #65763

Yes, Android only. Telescope.Touch is based on Google Sky Map , IPARCOS and INDIForJava. There is no way to port it to iOS or other operating systems.
I'm the developer of IPARCOS and I'm maintaining INDIForJava (see GitHub ), so I decided to merge all the projects into one big app.
I hope y'all will enjoy it!
3 years 2 months ago #65766

• Thank you received: 109
I would like to try it out, but do not see an APK in the repo or a link to the file/release. Do you have a URL? I am not set up to build APKs right now.

Thanks!
Jim
3 years 2 months ago #65783

Direct link to version 1.0-RC1: github.com/marcocipriani01/Telescope.Touch/releases/download/v1.0-rc1/Telescope.Touch.apk
The APK is available in the releases assets, but since it's a pre-release GitHub doesn't always show it.
Later in the day I'll be making a full release with some bug fixing.

Let me know how it goes!
3 years 2 months ago #65784

Thanks, have it installed. Will try it out later and give you any feedback I have.

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marco Cipriani
3 years 2 months ago #65786

Please update the app before trying it: github.com/marcocipriani01/Telescope.Touch/releases/tag/v1.0
The release candidate version had some connection issues which should be fixed now.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Marco Cipriani.
3 years 2 months ago #65842

Yes it did :) I just got sidetracked and didn't get back to posting. Downloading the new one now.

Jim
3 years 2 months ago #65843

I'm trying to add BLOB support to the app (for the moment, only a simple photo viewing functionality), and I'm running into troubles. Can you help me?
I start an INDI server (latest stable version) on my Astroberry, standalone without KStars. The only drivers in the server are the CCD simulator and a QHY 5L-II CCD. All the tests I've made return the same results regardless of which CCD I'm working on.
Here's what I've done:
  1. Connect every driver and ensure everything is working. I'm able to get pictures from a remote KStars connected to the server.
  2. Use Telescope.Touch in debug mode to get the XML messages from of the drivers - works, I can see prop updates in XML format
  3. Set the CCD's upload mode to "Client" in order to receive the picture as a BLOB prop in the app - as the INDI developer manual says
  4. Fire a 1second test capture from Telescope.Touch. The capture starts regularly.
  5. Read every XML message that arrives
Results: number, text and switch prop updates are always perfectly received and I get the right values, as usual. However, I never get the "CCD1" property updates, which should contain the captured FITS file. I do see the CCD1 BLOB property being created, but it never receives updates when the capture ends. The only data I can get after the capture is the photo's location in the Astroberry ("/home/astroberry/Captures") when the capture mode is set to "Local" or "Both".
Do you think I'm doing something wrong?

Kind regards,
Marco Cipriani
3 years 2 months ago #65891

I've solved the problem, I didn't know I had to enable BLOB receiving in the client. The problem now is the phone's memory, I can't load any image larger than 1000x1000px without out-of-memory errors :lol: (FITS format = no compression)
I guess I won't add full image support to avoid crashing people's phones...
3 years 2 months ago #65966

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim
3 years 2 months ago #66137

• Thank you received: 0
This app has great potentials.

I've just tried out the latest version from Google Play. The basic INDI telescope control and Skymap work pretty well, but the Goto/Sync function doesn't seem to work at all. Whenever I tapped on it, I would be back at the home screen of my phone. The app would still be running in the background and the telescope would be pointing at some random place.

I've been looking for a simple Android INDI client with Goto function to go along with my DIY eFinder based on Astroberry. The eFinder is for visual use and has a GPIO button that will initiate plate solve and centre the target in the eyepiece when being pressed. The potential candidates so far are Kstars Lite (no longer supported and very slow), SkySafari 6 Plus (cost money. I'd rather pay for StellarmateOS and its mobile app) and this. If the Goto can be fixed, it will be great.
3 years 1 month ago #66647

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds