INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Telescope.Touch INDI client for Android with sky map

• Thank you received: 0
Downloaded 1.4 yesterday and tried it out last night. The Goto now works on both my phone and tablet (the UI is easier to operate on the smaller phone screen). I'm just nitpicking here but I wish the built-in star catalogs would be bigger as I couldn't find quite a few well known double stars. For example I was observing the doubles in Cassiopeia the only one I could find in the app was Eta Cas, the others such as Iota Cas and HD11092 weren't there. The new Polar Finder seems to work well. I didn't check the telescope position in the Sky Map due to its vivid colour and brightness which could destroy my dark adaptation.

While this new app now worked like a charm, I had a bit of trouble with plate solving in Ekos. I don't think Kstars/Ekos has been updated recently, but for some reason when I attempted plate solve to centre my targets, the solver would get the solution and telescope coordinates correct, then calculate the dRA and dDEC wrong sometimes. This would slew the mount to some completely incorrect place in the sky. I don't know if any of you guys have encountered something similar on the latest Astroberry.
3 years 1 month ago #66913

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
Fantastic!You're right, I constrained the stars catalog quite a bit to speed up the catalog loading. I'm optimizing the process to allow for more stars in the next version.The new ultra-dark mode in v1.4 fixes that. Just press the eye icon on the toolbar to make the app and the Sky Map red and dim.
As far as the plate solving is concerned, I didn't experience pointing issues last time. Unfortunately, Astroberry's INDI and KStars versions are not up-to-date. See this GitHub issue .
3 years 1 month ago #66914

Man, you're a star! Looking forward to your next version with a bigger star catalog.

I did notice the new dark mode, but I thought it only applied to the UI. Guess I should have checked the sky map if it's now also displayed in dark/red mode.

I didn't realise Astroberry INDI repo hadn't been updated to 1.8.8. Maybe I should get Ubuntu and install Kstars/Ekos, INDI and astrometry.net from their official repos directly.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Ming Jiang.
3 years 1 month ago #66916

Done, I just added stars up to mag 7 to the app and release v1.4.1. There should be enough now. You can also lower the number of stars in the catalog from the settings.
Also, as @Ihoujin requested, I implemented the visibility filter and added altitude and azimuth to the objects' details.
3 years 1 month ago #66932

• Thank you received: 6
Marco,

This thread just saved me a lot of time and frustration. I was literally hunting down the KStars Lite source code so I could see what I could do to make it useable, when I stumbled upon your new app, which I'm sure is way better than I would have come up with. Question, though. You guys mention plate solving, and I can't find anywhere in the app to do that. Am I just blind and missing it, or is it not supported yet?

Thanks,
Karl
2 years 11 months ago #70162

Hi @Karlrees,
Happy to know that you like my app! Let me know if you have any suggestions or if you find bugs. Unfortunately, KStars Lite is pretty much dead at this point. I had better luck writing a new app from scratch, and it runs so much faster because it uses Android native code (it's not a port of a full-fat desktop planetarium). At this stage it is under active development and has a paid Pro version to support the project, because - being new - it's rather unknown in the community.
We were talking about Ekos' plate solver, Telescope.Touch doesn't have one. It probably never will, because Astrometry doesn't run on smartphones. Perhaps someday I'll find a hacky way to do it.
Kind regards,
Marco Cipriani
2 years 11 months ago #70163

• Thank you received: 226
Here's a thought. If a mobile internet connection is available, implement online plate solving with astrometry.net.
2 years 11 months ago #70164

That's a good idea, I'll see what I can do. I've also found out there's an Astrometry.net INDI driver, but I have never used it.
2 years 11 months ago #70165

Online plate solving has too many restrictions. This app requires an INDI server to operate. Why not just run plate solving remotely on the INDI server?
2 years 11 months ago #70230

The new Pro version looks very promising and is shaping up to be a nice mobile imaging app.

I can see that you've been using the VizieR catalogue service for the built-in object catalogue. Is it possible to update it with more stars? The current one is fine for DSOs, but is quite lacking for stars especially double stars which is a major area of interest in visual. For example the well known double/multiple stars Algebra (gamma leo), eta Cassiopeiae, etc. cannot be found in the current goto database.
2 years 11 months ago #70404

Thank you @knight_parn!

At the moment I'm using VizieR Common Stars catalogue, which is pretty limited. I'll see in the next release if I can switch to a different one or add a specific double-stars catalogue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ming Jiang
2 years 11 months ago #70406

Hello there !
I'm a fresh new user of this wonderfull app !
I was just wondering if it was possible to add a "polar alignement help" feature/tool, as we can find on the synscan app for example ?
(feature that basically shifts AD (then DEC) according to polar alignment error, and ask for user to act on AZ/ALT axis of the mount to align the star in the middle of the view). It is a really powerfull feature (and really precise), especially when unable to see pole star.

It is a mandatory feature for me, just hope it will be implemented in future :)
2 years 1 month ago #80739

Time to create page: 0.870 seconds