INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Difference between EQ6-R and EQ8-R (thinking of an upgrade)

• Thank you received: 19
Hi,
at the moment I'm working with the EQ6-R. So far the mount is quite good, but with my C9.25 it is at the limit. So I'm thinking of getting a bigger mount (perhaps next year...) I'm thinking of the EQ8-R. One of the reasons is, that I'm currently building a permanent pier in the garden, so it would be for a permanent setup.

Are there experiencies in the forum which are the differencies in the work flow within kstars from people who owned both of them? Is it just a switch and just "having a bigger mount"? Or are there obstacles when you are used to have the smaller EQ6-R?

The other question is: are there alternatives? Of course there are, but I'm satisfied so far with the EQ6, so I'm hoping to be so with the EQ8 ;-) Is this ok?
2 years 6 months ago #75294

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 165
I switched from HEQ5 to EQ8 (the older model) and at least there is was very much plug & play, nothing changed except additional capabilities like possibility to autohome (which is very useful in a remote observatory) and so on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JuergenN
2 years 6 months ago #75330

Hi Jarno,
thank you for the reply :-) So the autohome is meanwhile working? I read some messages here, that there were some problems...

Regarding connection to stellarmate: I can use the USB port of the EQ8-R (dont know if the older model has already the USB port...)
2 years 6 months ago #75435

• Thank you received: 165
Autohome works well, I've had to use it a few times after I've messed up the mount state somehow (usually cutting power at wrong time). If the mount is pointing totally wrong way, I usually first manually run the scope roughly in the right position so that it doesn't hit the pier or anything while it finds the home sensors. As said I have the older EQ8, but as far as I know it should work the same with EQ8-R too if the mount code has been added so that the driver detects the capabilities correctly.

My older model only has USB in the handset so I need to still use the same RJ45 EQDir cable I used with HEQ5, but EQ8-R has additional USB-B in the mount as well and can be used directly with EQMod with just USB-A-B cable. Difference is that baud rate needs to be set to 115k instead of 9600 used with EQDir cable but otherwise it should work exactly the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JuergenN
2 years 6 months ago #75471

Ok, sounds good. So I start to save money for the EQ8 ;-) Hoping it will be available next year...
2 years 6 months ago #75499

Time to create page: 1.881 seconds