INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Struggling with Avalon Zero Obs WiFi goto/sync/guiding

• Thank you received: 2
Hi!

I successfully use the Ekos PA routine in order to get a good polar alignment but then things go, well, not according to plan. Some background information:

OTA: TS Optics CF-APO 90mm F6 with 0.8 reducer
DSLR: EOS 600D
Guider: QHY5LII-M-6027e
GPS: Hat GPS card
Mount: Avalon Zero Obs WiFi, FW 6.5.6
Control stack: Raspberry Pi 4B, 64GB ssd, Astroberry 2.0.3 and using the Avalon StarGo INDILib Driver

The GPS receives lat/long/time every 10s and updates Kstars/Ekos accordingly. I can confirm on the Avalon->Site Management tab that the scope location is correctly updated in the INDI Control Panel.

Ok, so I managed to get a good polar alignment using the alignment module now it's time to slew to, say, Vega in order to sync the alignment. I click Vega in Kstars and selects Avalon StarGo -> GoTo resulting in the mount slewing but definitely not to Vega. In fact it is waaay off! I get the feeling that the mount stops too early. I have the control box connected and uses it in order to finalize the slew and then select Avalon StarGo -> Sync. Hmmm, "Ok - this is odd" I think. Well now I hope the mount "knows" where it is so I try Altair and slews to Altair... NOT! The mount is (of course) confused leaving me, well, a little disappointed to say the least.

One more thing. I've also tried to get the mount and guider to "talk" to each other although the alignment is way off. When trying to calibrate I get a message something like "Not able to ... ... after 21 iterations" after trying to sort out the RA backlash. It doesn't get to the DEC part. Do I need to tweak the control parameters somehow? I've set the Guiding rate to 0.3 which renders P: 222.22

Now, let me start by telling you I'm definitely not a Kstars/Ekos/INDILib wizard by any means but I thought I had understood at least some of the core concepts well enough. I have a deep respect and admiration for the INDILib driver developers who create these drivers for us. I just hope somebody out there can point me in the right direction and telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Peter Litsegaard.
2 years 6 months ago #75366

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
Hello Peter,

I am also using the Avalon M-Zero OBS mount with the following configuration:

William Optics GTF81 OTA
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro main camera with EFW
ZWO ASI290MM (guide cam) on OAG
ODroid N2 running Ubuntu Mate
Pegasus Astro Pocket Power Box Advanced
Avalon M-Zero OBS mount USB connected (from INDI mount general info, M-Zero firmware is Avalon - 62.0 - 11062019 )

I never encountered a situation like yours and even though I need to refine my polar alignment, the targets I shoot have always been within the field of view of the ASI1600 sensor. On that regard, I do not quite understand what may be wrong. One thing that may be different is that I do not use the Avalon hand controller and, as such, it is not connected to my mount.  You may try to use the mount without the hand controller to see if that solves this problem. 

Concerning the guiding, I successfully use the following parameters (see included screenshot):

Exposure: 1 second
Bin: 1x1
Box: 64
Guiding Rate: 0.500 (P: 133.33)

Let me know if any of this helps.

2 years 6 months ago #75381
Attachments:

Hi Gilles!

Thanks for your reply! I've removed the "keypad" from the configuration and entered your guide setings in Ekos. I'll try when the weather improves. I still assume that the proper way of using the mount would be:

1. polar align using the Ekos alignment module
2. goto a bright star, say Vega/Deneb/Altair, and then sync the mount

That should be the only steps necessary if I'm correct or have I missed something?

Cheers
2 years 6 months ago #75468

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Peter,
using the hand controller shouldn’t be the issue. The INDI driver uses the internal pointing model of StarGO, so no matter where a SYNC comes from, it should be equivalent.

It must be something different, and I think you could do a dry run during daytime. Two ideas that you could check:

1. Is StarGO configured for the Zero? You need the Windows client for checking this.

2. Check the cabling, maybe you mixed up the RA and DEC plug.

HTH
Wolfgang
2 years 6 months ago #75530

Hi Wolfgang!

I think I can see progress now! I re-installed the firmware from my Avalon Win dir and the mount behaves in a more "civilized" manner now :) From some "indoor dry runs" the mount seems to have a better understanding of where it is pointing. As soon as the weather permits I'll take it for a test run and let you know about my findings.

Regarding the hand controller I find your answer very encouraging as I, sometimes, find the use of the HC preferable in the field and not only rely on the tablet/pc for all movements. I got the impression from Avalon that there are some "safety precautions" built in in the FW which restricts the movement somehow in situations when the HC is not connected to the StarGo Unit, please see this link:

www.avalon-instruments.com/support-2/tro...op-before-the-target

Again, many thanks for your help!
2 years 6 months ago #75544

Hi!

I finally managed (fingers crossed) to get my gear up and running. What I did was:

1. Mount FW upgrade which made my mount behave as expected
2. After struggling extensively with the internal guider, I tried PHD2 which worked immediately so I decided to stick to it

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Cheers
2 years 6 months ago #75990

• Thank you received: 370
Good to hear! For PHD2, there are recommendations from Avalon, in case you do not know them:
www.avalon-instruments.com/support/13-tr...suggested-parameters
2 years 6 months ago #75991

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out!

Cheers
2 years 6 months ago #76000

Time to create page: 1.007 seconds