INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RST-135E sync from Ekos partly/not working

• Thank you received: 18
When I do a Capture&Solve with sync command, to my Rainbow Astro RST-135E, this is only partially incorporated in the alignment model in the mount. From the six alignment parameters (PA Alt/Az, RA/DEC error and DEC and RA/DEC orthogonal error), only two get updated (RA/DEC error). This is similar to doing a single star alignment using the handcontroller. But when repeating this 5 times using the hand controller, all 6 model parameters are populated and an actual alignment model is built. Repeating the process using Ekos does never populate all 6 model parameters. In fact it does not even register one single sync as a 'star alignment'.

From the forums it seems that in the ASCOM driver, you would have to select 'star alignment' when doing these syncs. Does something similar needs doing in Ekos/INDI? Or is 'star alignment' something that is not currently supported by the INDI driver? Hopefully this is just something I am doing wrong. With my 10Micron mount, doing star alignment using HC vs a sync from Ekos is doing exactly the same thing, so that was why I was hoping it would work the same way with the RST-135E.

When guiding, this is probably not so important as lack of an internal alignment model will be guided out. But I am trying to use unguided, which works reasonably well as long as the mount is well aligned and this 5-star alignment model is in place.

2 years 6 months ago #75370

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think the RST-135 has the same issue.  Only the first sync seems to result in any improvement in pointing accuracy.  Since I plate solve and slew and then guide I never worried about it too much but this would explain it.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Thomas Mason.
2 years 6 months ago #75426

Thank you Thomas. That sounds indeed the same. So this might be due to the driver then. It would be great if this would be added in a future driver upgrade.
2 years 6 months ago #75427

I wonder if it is the driver or ekos?  If it is ekos it might be possible to use Mount Wizzard 4 to due the model with indi server.
2 years 6 months ago #75688

• Thank you received: 139
I asked Michel (MW4 developer) about this some months ago, and he was not interested in supporting other mounts. It's already a lot of development work for him supporting 10M mounts specifically.

The driver is the limitation. The protocol to sync multiple points wasn't provided for INDI.
2 years 4 months ago #77149

Time to create page: 0.677 seconds