INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Do Not Use FTDI and Profilic Serial-USB Drivers in the Same Setup

• Thank you received: 0
@ Avo

forgot to say that this looks like a Prolific pl2303 driver problem specifically
2 years 5 months ago #76756

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
And that's a bad one and they are bad quality. I stopped using profilic (that exact model) once it burned my HEQ5 MCU!!!
Almost had a fire because of it. Very dangerous. Profilic no more... at least for me
2 years 5 months ago #76757

Hi nMac,

the range of experiences with all this stuff is really quite odd. Makes you wonder if it just all depends on which side of the bed you got out of :-)

Best,

c
2 years 5 months ago #76758

• Thank you received: 87
Hi Collin, yes it seems so :-) I had it working for more than a year until disaster arrived.
But I had more experiences with profilic chipsets and in general they dont play well with other chipsets.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by nMAC.
2 years 5 months ago #76759

• Thank you received: 50
Of course it’s only the Windows implementation of VNC Viewer that’s showing what’s going on in my RPi. The KStars/Ekos/Indi is all running under the Raspberry Pi OS version of Debian.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Avocette.
2 years 5 months ago #76760

I don’t know where I read it, but it seems there are some genuine Prolific PL2303s out there but a lot of fake ones….
2 years 5 months ago #76761

Hi Avo,

Yep, I guessed it was vnc or similar :-)

I'm just saying is there APPEARS to be something flakey going on in relationship to the pl2303 driver.

Do you know if your Pegasus is using the "standard" Prolific pl2303 driver ? It would just be interesting to know

Best,

c
2 years 5 months ago #76762

@Avo

Yes, there are many reports of cloned/fake so-called prolific chips.

However, do bear in mind that in this instance (Eq6-r Pro) Well, I'd like (Hope) to think Skywatcher buys direct from Prolific ? :-)

Best,

c
2 years 5 months ago #76763

My guess is that Pegasus Astro would also be keen to buy direct from Prolific. 
By the way my other mount ( SW AZ/EQ5) has a built-in Prolific chip, and I can swap over the direct USB cable link to a Hitecastro USB to Serial cable. It turns out this cable also has a Prolific chip in it, and the only software change I need to make is to go from 115200 baud to 9600.
2 years 5 months ago #76764

• Thank you received: 27
I have a Pegasus Ultimate V2 box and that gives me NO problems at all. (not on raspberry PI or on Intel Linux machines)
As I said in a previous reply, most of the problems with the PL203 come from the GPSD service (Which in Astroberry is installed by default, even if you have no GPS)

GPSD uses a rules file: (think it is in /lib/udev/rules/d and is called 40-gpsd.rules (or something similar)

somewhere around line 25 are these statements # Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port [linux module: pl2303]
ATTRS{idVendor}=="067b", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2303", SYMLINK+="gps%n", @UDEVCOMMAND@

So the minute you plugin a PL203 serial2usb, it gets a /dev/ttygps0 (or 1, 2 ...) and it is mistakenly taken by the GPSD as a GPS device

When the Indi driver then connect, nothing but trouble ....

Can be solving by removing GPSD (don't think it is possible on astroberry due to dependencies)

comment that line in the rules file
#ATTRS{idVendor}=="067b", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2303", SYMLINK+="gps%n", @UDEVCOMMAND@

and restart the system. Then test again.

Also disable autosearch function in Indi drivers. (Never worked correct for me). Use the new serialbyId devices to connect.

Regards,

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean-Claude JESIOR
2 years 5 months ago #76767

• Thank you received: 33
Thank you PDB for your comment on GPS : this was may be the real cause of my problem (on top of the FTDI / Prolific conflict)
I explain : I have a Celestron CGE Pro mount. Because that mount is not included in the Celestron list displayed by KStars, I chose "Celestron GPS" .
Somehow it worked but fairly frequently KStars crashed at the end of the session .
Because of your comments I replaced "Celestron GPS" by "Celestron NextStar" and this doesn't happen anymore.
Thanks again
2 years 5 months ago #76768

Hi PDB,

I found the exact entry you referred to :-)

It was already commented out !

Not sure whether to laugh, cry or just buy a new cable.

Actually, I've ordered a new cable :-)

Best,

c
2 years 5 months ago #76774

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds