INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astro-Physics Mount Driver

• Thank you received: 559
Does anyone use the AstroPhysics mount driver? 
How well is it working for you? 

Is anyone actively working on developing it? 

I'm specifically interested in using it with a CP3 controller.

Thanks,
Hy

2 years 3 months ago #78526

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by wotalota on topic Astro-Physics Mount Driver

Recently I've been an infrequent user of the experimental driver(CP4). I sometimes encounter issues with it heading off in the wrong direction but have not defined the conditions well enough to submit a problem report. If used for a single target in a session it seems okay.

Invalid pier side response is an older issue that still occurs sometimes. Might be timing related only seen when using an ethernet connection. It seemed to be that some prior command to the mount had not waited for a response. When that response came back the driver confused it to be a response for the most recently issued command.
2 years 3 months ago #78539

@wotalota: I'm having trouble getting started with it. Probably user error. Mount and Indi/Ekos have different ideas about where in the sky it is pointing. I can't park it at all.
Any chance we could video chat for 15 minutes sometime? I've sent you a private message on this forum's messaging.
2 years 3 months ago #78550

• Thank you received: 41
Hello Hy,

I missed your original post when it first went out, apologies.
I have access to a AP-GTO1100 that I used for testing in collaboration with "Wildi" when he was working on improvements to the original experimental driver. I can only test the CP4 V13 config though but I'm happy to do this if you need anyone to test changes to the driver.
Having said that, the last time I tested the current version it seemed to be behaving itself and I had no complaints/issues.

Cheers

Mike
2 years 3 months ago #78812

Thanks Mike.

At least as I see it, the driver is not setup for running fully automated, e.g. imaging with KStars/Ekos and the scheduler where no manual intervention is needed during the night.  Are you able to do that?

If yes, I'd love to talk with you about how you set up things.

Assuming not, it would be great if you could help me test things, so I don't break things you care about.

And, yes, I'm trying to run an AP-1100 with CP3 v-2

Hy
2 years 3 months ago #78813

• Thank you received: 41
Hello Hy,

As the mount is not mine :( I have only used it for testing indoors but I am sure that we could try a fully automatic session. I would need to wait for a spell of decent weather for that though and assistance from my son to set up outside as the mount and scope are a bit heavy for me due to a very dodgy back. If I can schedule a session I can let you know in advance. Otherwise I can certainly test new changes to improve the functionality of any changes to the driver but this would be the CP4 rather than the CP3. I might initially need some help in establishing a testing environment as far as the software side is concerned as it's been a while since I worked on the last one. It would not take long to get up to speed with the process though. Just pm me and we could sort something out offline :).

Mike
2 years 3 months ago #78814

• Thank you received: 16
Hello Hy!
I have an AP900 with a GTOCP3 controller and have done many successful all night runs using the scheduler and the standard AstroPhysics driver. You have to be mindful of the "Warm" or "Cold" initialization, however once the mount is initialized and I have checked the pointing accuracy I can then run a scheduled session and step away. I run the software on a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB Ram) and monitor the session via VNC. The goto's, meridian flips, plate solving, etc. all work fine with this driver. I am also able to use pulse guiding with this driver. I do not think the AstroPhysics GTOCP2 driver can use pulse guiding. The experimental driver has a history to be sure and at one time I used it very successfully  for a while, however in recent iterations this driver presented too much pain to be useful in my case. Your mileage may vary and indeed perhaps now it is more settled, however I haven't tried the experimental driver in well over a year. I put a lot of time on testing the experimental driver during a phase of its development, however I no longer know who is actually developing that driver or if it is used at all. I am happy to get the use of the regular AstroPhysics driver which gives me the essential functions I need for successful use. The main difficulty in development of the experimental driver has been the fact that AP is not interested in supporting an open source driver. I discussed this with them a couple of times but could get no traction from AP, they do not approve of open source software, or at least they didn't when I was talking with them. 

So much for the history lesson. In short, use the regular AstroPhysics driver which, at last check, was developed by Jasem. Oh, one more thing, the park position has to set each time I use the driver or the scope will not park correctly. It does not seem to load this properly when it starts even when it is supposed to. I haven't been able to get out with my equipment in many months so it may be that the situation here has changed. I will write the steps I use the next time I get out with my system. Once the initial "baby sitting" is done you can run automated all night and get some sleep, or at least that is what I was able to do.

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Midwest Astronomer.
2 years 2 months ago #79382

I've created an experimental version of what I hope is an improved Indi AstroPhysics driver for CP3 and CP4. I've tested it with my own mount for the past 2 weeks and it is performing well, and I'd like to get several users to test this as well before I release it.  

If you're interested in testing, please contact me and let me know your email address. You can do this by direct messaging me on this forum, or just reply to this thread and I'll direct message you. 

I already have @Midwest Astronomer, @Wotalota, @Spartacus on my list, and would love a few more.
Hy

2 years 1 month ago #80382

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds