INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron AVX not connecting

• Thank you received: 0
A new Celestron AVX mount won’t connect to Atikbase / Stellarmate Kstars / Ekos 3.5.9. Any clues how to get Stellarmate to talk to a Celestron AVX?

The driver does not crash. However it won’t detect or communicate with the AVX mount. I have used two different USB cables. I have put a powered USB hub between the AVX and the Atikbase running Stellarmate. I used different USB ports on the Atikbase. I plug into the bottom of the AVX mount’s hand controller. I did align the mount using a Two-Star alignment. Gotos from the hand control operate fine.

I have verified the cables work by connecting the USB cable to a PC running AstroPlanner. It connects to the mount, reads its position, commands it to go to positions, moves the scope, gets the time/date from the mount without issue.

I went back to the Atikbase / Stellarmate and the AVX, and it still won’t connect. The port listed in the configuration is /dev/ttyUSB0. Should this be something other than the default value of /dev/ttyUSB0? The Atikbase / Stellarmate does connect to and operate my 2006-vintage CGE mount and controls it (I tell Ekos it is a CGEM). I have a separate configuration for using the CGE vs. the AVX. I have not checked the port on the CGE.

I’ve included the log file. I searched the forum using various keywords related to AVX and connection. I read the FAQ on mounts, and thus tried the USB hub. I’ll get new cables and see if the present cables are USB 1.0 cables while 2.0 or 3.0 are required. The same cable that connects to the mount may be moved to connect an Atik 428EX color CCD with Stellarmate / Ekos. It connects and controls the camera and acquires images.

The AVX is a new mount for a smaller lighter imaging system that is more portable than what I have on the CGE. I’ll be switching back and forth between the CGE and the AVX in the future (not simultaneously).

Notes on the log file. There are several trials in the log. One of them did not have the Atik or QHY cameras plugged in. Ignore that part of the log.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_08-40-09.txt
File Size:118 KB
1 year 8 months ago #84638
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi there,
I use an AVX mount and have into trouble before when connecting multiple devices to my mini pc and it wasn’t aware of which port was which. I ended up plugging the mount in first and if it didn’t automatically connect I used the sniff function to find the port. Once detected I then started plugging in the other devices. Hope that helps

Lenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 year 8 months ago #84654

Thanks Lenny. I am not on a pc. It does work and connect when I am on a pc - but that is not running Stellarmate/Kstars/Ekos. When I am on the Raspberry pi based Atikbase/ Stellarmate with Kstars and Ekos it doesn’t connect. It reliably connects and operates every time when I plug it into my PC. It has yet to connect with Stellarmate on the Raspberry pi. Powered USB hub or not. Brand new cable, or the old one. Won’t connect. It probably is not identifying the port. Stellarmate/Kstars/Ekos is not auto-recognizing the port for the AVX. It is looking more like a software error or configuration error.
1 year 8 months ago #84667

• Thank you received: 1
Sorry should have said I had this issue with my pi as well (running Ubuntu) have you tried just plugging in the mount and seeing if it can detect it.
I found it finicky when I had 2 serial devices connected my mount and focuser get mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 year 8 months ago #84685

Yeah, I have tried having it be the only thing plugged in. I am still going to try to set the port to be the same as my CGE mount, but have had to fight other Stellarmate issues. Maybe this weekend I will make some progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 year 7 months ago #85488

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds