INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CGEM / indi_celestron_gps / Tracking Calibration Failure

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I recently had to reinstall my INDI libraries on my Raspberry Pi 4. Prior to this, everything was working fine. Now I have problems with my CGEM Mount. I am still using the indi_celestron_gps (version 3.4) driver to connect to the mount. The Server sees the mount and is able do Polar Alignment and to slew to objects, but there are two problems. Other devices (ZWO Cameras) are working fine.

When I try to Calibrate the Mount for Tracking, it fails. When doing the RA “Nudge” is goes in one direction and then continues in that direction when trying to return to the Point of Origin for the Calibration. As such, the Calibration eventually Fails.

Another thing I have noticed is that the mount is drifting a lot. Like the software is over compensating. With a 1 second, high gain, exposure, I am getting star tails. This is after a successful Polar Alignment. So either the Alignment is off, or the software is pushing the Mount when it should not.

My rig is off line until I can get this fixed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Claude
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Claude Despatie.
1 year 4 months ago #88587

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Again,
Just an update. I see many members have viewed my post, but no one has replied ! I have attached my “Typical” Guide Log during the Calibration Process and a JPG of the Calibration Attempt. This problem seems to be very similar to what was reported a year ago when version 3.5 of the INDI_Celestron_gps driver came out. Back then, several Members reported having problems with their Tracking Calibration on Celestron Mounts (mine is a CGEM DX).

Reference:
1)
indilib.org/forum/stellarmate/9207-solve...not-guide/69224.html

(SOLVED) Guide calibration fails. Cannot guide

Here “Steve Crossman” had problems with the 3.4 version of the driver. Same version I am using.

2)
On the INDI Git Hub Issue Tracker / #1368

github.com/indilib/indi/issues/1368

stuartatpeasy commented on Mar 8, 2021

I'm unable to complete guider calibration because the second stage of the calibration process (RA_DEC_DIR) generates pulses in the same direction as RA_INC_DIR, and the guide star drifts away faster and faster as the pulse-length is increased.

This issue of the Calibration Pulses not reversing direction seem to be exactly what I am getting. See the attached JPG.

It would be great if someone could suggest something. I am using a bare knuckles Raspberry Pi 4, so I am not sure there is a rcent update for Raspbian available. Any Help. Thank you.
1 year 3 months ago #88922
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds