INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CGEM Indi XML file changed port - by itself ???

• Thank you received: 17
Anybody seen this. I am running Kstars on a Raspberry Pi 4, I access the Rpi using VPN on a laptop, in my garage connected over ethernet. But I also have an Android Tablet, that I use at the scope, just to view the screen output (for example; while I am focusing). The tablet is USB port connected to a spare USB port on the RPI. Yesterday I had to switch to a new tablet, the old one became unreliable (they both are inexpensive 7" models). I did nothing different, just connected the tablet using USB tethering and added the correct address into the VNC viewer on the tablet.

Today, my CGEM mount would not connect. After searching around I found that the CGEM....xml file in the .indi folder had been changed; the port went from ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB1.
I did not make this change, what can make this change in the xml file??

I reset the .xml file and now everything is working again. But I don't know if this will happen again.

thanks for any responses.
1 year 4 months ago #89168

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 17
I have not been able to repeat the problem. I have checked my udev rules, ran udevadm to check on device settings, unconnected and reconnected the tablet via usb tethering, set both automatic and manual ip definition of the usb wired connection (Note: I am running 64 bit Ubunto LTS 20.14 - and not making any updates as everything was working - same for the version of Kstars). What ever I do now seems to work. Nothing has changed the CGEM XML file in .indi directory. Yet, I know yesterday when I checked that file (as a last resort as to why the mount would not connect even though the error was telling me it had something to do with USB0 and USB1) it had the connection set at ttyUSB1, while the default CGEM file (I always keep a backup of how it was before when it worked) had ttyUSB0. So somewhere that .xml file was changed, but I have not been able to figure out how or where.

Anyway, right now everything is working, Kstars runs, all the equipment connects, I can run VPN on my laptop (in the garage, where it is warm) to control everything and when I need a screen at the scope I can use the tablet, running android VPN viewer on a fixed address on the RPI and the tablet usb tethered. I went to usb tethering because the wifi connection right at the scope could be iffy depending on which side of the scope I was standing with the tablet. The tethered connection is very fast and reliable (does real time updates during polar alignment and focusing).

It seems there is always something that causes a delay in getting the system running at night, so I have gone to getting everything up and running during the day and then just rolling the scope out at night, so fortunately I did not lose any "scope time" because of this. All the same, I wish these 'computer' issues did not happen. They are far more numerous than any other equipment problems.

thanks for looking anyway.
1 year 4 months ago #89185

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.588 seconds