INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Information Required: Celestron GEM mount Auxiliary driver

• Thank you received: 69
I did set "last alignment" on the HC before starting Ekos and had some difficulty getting the driver selected properly, but the "CGX Wired" driver option make it much easier than previous attempts.
The driver seems to be working (in daylight), so if there are outstanding issues, I haven't yet encountered them

Hopefully, my log is attached. (I did slew around a bit after connecting).
1 year 3 weeks ago #91561
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So after a number of days of attempting to use the Celestron AUX driver, it's not working for my CGX mount connected via the PC port. I've tried it with/without the handset connected.

The 1st issue is that the driver assumes that the mount is in the index position when starting. This requires I align / polar align the mount (via the hand set) and then power the mount off / on and choose last alignment, to be able to get to the index position. I don't see a more reliable way of doing this. It would be better (for me) if it interrogated the mount where it was pointing (as it's likely still pointing at my polar alignment star).

The 2nd issue is that regardless of where I slew the mount, the Mount tab always reports East (pointing West), even after the mount has obviously just done a meridian flip in reaching the target. If I turn on the "Flip if HA > x" checkbox, then it repeatedly tries to do a meridian flip (while not actually doing anything at the mount).

These may easily be setup/configuration errors on my part, but that is not obvious. If I switch back to using the HC usb interface with the Celestron CGX driver then neither of these issues exist.

Sorry to post this right after a stable release, but it's not critical as there is a working alternative.
Cheers
1 year 2 weeks ago #91729

• Thank you received: 30
send the log.

●Environment
Mount: AVX
AUX connection: Self-made USB serial, self-made WIFI connection (both connected to HC terminal)
Hand controller: Not connected.

As I reported before, I think that the reference point of the home position differs by 90 degrees between the fork equatorial mount and the German equatorial mount.
I think that it is highly likely that you will get different results if you connect directly to the hand controller. (because the hand controller has alignment information)

Result of connecting
・Self-made USB serial → connection not possible
・Homemade WIFI connection → connection

Homebrew USB serial can be used in Windows, but INDI does not recognize it. (also same as before)
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by T-Studio.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91753
Attachments:

RPI4 (32-bit OS), so it may not be the latest update.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91756

www.cloudynights.com/topic/812944-homebr...aux-port/?p=12330652

Cloudy night provided valuable information on connecting a homemade USB adapter.

It looks like I need to force RTS/CTS and rewrite cpp to connect.

It seems that a setting item that uses RTS/CTS is required to connect directly to AUX.
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by T-Studio.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91765

• Thank you received: 41
So far I can see, the DIY cable currently works only when connecting to USB/HC (19200) but not AUX/PC.
I also built a DIY AUX USB Relay MCU cable: USB ⇆ Nexstar AUX Relay for Celestron Mounts
By means of the cable I was able to sniff all the AUX bus commication between e.g. HC and MC for an AVX mount, it is documented in issue:
Celestron AUX driver remote control without HC #745

Based on the sniffed information, the idea was to completely omit the HC by sending the same AUX packets from AUX driver to MC
as the HC is sending. See PR: Fix sendingWithoutHC 0x40 0xc0 and logging (#758)

Cheers
Thomas
1 year 2 weeks ago #91767

Thank you for information.

What I created seems to work on Windows, but INDI doesn't seem to connect without forcing RTSCTS.

I will check the information on the link you provided.

thank you.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91770

Looking at the information, USB ⇆ Nexstar AUX Relay for Celestron Mounts and the USB connection adapter I made seem to have the same mechanism.

In the case of this circuit, it seems that RTS/CTS is also used, so it seems that permission is required on the driver side. (Although it is recognized by the system on Linux, it cannot be connected with INDI. Perhaps the reason why you can connect with CPWI on Windows is because it supports RTS/CTS.)

The self-made WIFI connection created by the same author can be connected and operated without using HC.

However, when I checked it before, the right ascension was off by 90 degrees when GOTO was used with the German equatorial mount. I'm assuming it's because the driver only has the coordinates of the forked equatorial mount.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91774

• Thank you received: 41
The problem with the correct pier side is indeed a bug, I checked the code and the pierSide parameter is ignored for GEM mounts:
celestronaux.cpp#L1779
The code for the GEM mounts is: celestronaux.cpp#L1819

I think the following patch shall solve the problem:
--- a/indi-celestronaux/celestronaux.cpp
+++ b/indi-celestronaux/celestronaux.cpp
@@ -1827,11 +1827,14 @@ void CelestronAUX::EncodersToRADE(INDI::IEquatorialCoordinates &coords, Telescop

de = LocationN[LOCATION_LATITUDE].value >= 0 ? deEncoder : -deEncoder;
         ha = range24(haEncoder / 15.0);
-        if (deEncoder < 90 || deEncoder > 270)
+        if (deEncoder < 90.0 || deEncoder > 270.0)
         {
             de = rangeDec(180 - de);
             ha = rangeHA(ha + 12);
-        }
+           pierSide = PIER_EAST;
+        } else {
+           pierSide = PIER_WEST;
+       }

Regarding the index position at startup, we sniffed the communication between the hand controller (HC) and the motor controller (MC). Powering up the mount with attached HC is a <em>cold start</em>
and at some time step one has to confirm at the HC that the mount is at index position, that is counter weights down pointing north (see: 745#issuecomment-1463761161 )

Answering the final step on the HC with quick align corresponds to 3 AUX commands send to the MC.
  • MTR_SET_POSITION
  • MTR_SET_CORDWRAP_POSITION
  • MTR_CORDWRAP_ON

The Celestron AUX driver now imitates after connecting the HC cold start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Studio, Jerry Black, Chris Kuethe
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Thomas Stibor.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91780

• Thank you received: 1
For what it’s worth, I found that on Windows, using ASCOM, my CGEM-II works best if I connect with the CPWI application and send a “Quick Align” to the mount. Maybe the “Use Last Alignment” would also work if you’re not at the index position?

The key was that the mount seems to need some sort of alignment that Indi wasn’t sending last time I tried it (about 8 months ago).
1 year 2 weeks ago #91825

So with the updated code, as you might expect, I've able to verify indoors that the Scope appears to be behaving normally with respect to meridian flips. *Thank you!*

I'll be able to try it in 5 hours outside.

With respect to initial starting position, I'll try to do a polar alignment using the HC (without Kstars), cycle the power to the mount to quickly get back to the index position and choose last alignment before removing the hand controller. If there is a simpler solution for startup, that would be great, but this doesn't seem onerous. The only nagging question is that I presume once last alignment is chosen, the mount will be begin tracking away from its index position.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91829

Thomas, thank you for figuring this out! I actually just fixed it today and didn't know about your fix, I wish I checked this post earlier! I also verified with Chris that meridian flip works correctly now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Kuethe
1 year 2 weeks ago #91840

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds