INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Connect rpi4 to SynScan EOS via handcontroller.

• Thank you received: 2
Please - quick question. I’m stuck at the first hurdle. I’m trying to connect my rpi4 (bullseye) to a EQ5 pro Mount using a usb-rs232 cable. I’ve plugged the cable into a usb socket on my pi, and into the base of the SynScan EOS hand controller.

I’ve tried using Synscan and Synscan legacy from the Indi skywatcher device driver list. Both have the same result. The machine waits a few seconds after initiating ekos and then reports serial timeout error. Here’s a log.

Do I need to install a usb-rs232 driver on the pi? Or buy a different cable

Thanks very much. Much appreciated

John

INFO 111.120911 sec : Session log file /home/dad/.indi/logs/2023-01-23/indi_synscan_telescope/indi_synscan_telescope_11:24:02.log
DEBUG 173.967353 sec : Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
DEBUG 185.146675 sec : Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 9600
DEBUG 185.151247 sec : Port FD 4
DEBUG 185.151433 sec : Connection successful, attempting handshake...
DEBUG 185.151523 sec : CMD <Kx>
ERROR 188.154688 sec : Serial read error: Timeout error.
DEBUG 188.154815 sec : Handshake failed.
1 year 2 months ago #89816

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 14
Hi,

I have the same mount and I never use the handcontroller with Stellarmate or Kstars/Ekos. What you need is a EqMod cable (specific for your mount HEQ5 pro), one plug into the HC socket of the mount and the USB plug into the Pi or whatever you have.
And of course, you will use the driver Eqmod instead of Synscan or Synscan legacy.

btw, this cable is pretty cheap.

Valentin
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Val Chevalier.
1 year 2 months ago #89823

Thanks Valentin, very helpful. Does it have to connect directly into the mount, or could it connect into the base of the HC (and then set the HC to pass through mode). I’ve actually tried connecting to the HC, setting ‘pass through’ but it didn’t make any difference.

The Mount has a circular multi-pin connector - so for normal setup the HC connects to the SynScan box which then connects to the Mount via a lead with round mult-pin plugs at either end. I’ve googled but can’t find any leads that go usb to the old multi pin round plugs.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated

John
1 year 2 months ago #89824

I’ve ordered a ‘Skywatcher Synscan USB adapter’ that appears to promise what I need. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks again for your suggestions

John
1 year 2 months ago #89827

• Thank you received: 14
John,

Sorry, I am confused, I thought you have a HEQ5 but no, you have a EQ5, so forget about what I said. I don't know if there is a Eqmod cable for your mount.

Valentin
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Val Chevalier.
1 year 2 months ago #89828

No problem. Thanks for your suggestions. The EQ5 pro Mount (I’m not talking about the SynScan box or the HC) has an 8 pin DIN socket connecting it to the SynScan box. I’ll wait and try the SynScan - usb connector I’ve ordered from RVO. If I’m lucky this will connect the rpi to the base of the HC (for a SynScan Indi driver) , or maybe to the SynScan box directly (for an eqmod Indi driver).

Thanks again
1 year 2 months ago #89830

• Thank you received: 133
I'm using eqmod cable and driver for my GP-DX, which has one of the EQ3/5 upgrade kits installed. Initially, before getting the eqmod cable, I had used the HC to connect, and ISTR that the HC has to be put into a special mode so it listens on the input port and translates it into proper commands for the motor controller. Did you do that?
Depending on what cable you ordered, if it is an eqmod cable (which includes AFAIK an USB-to-RS422 converter) it would have to be plugged to the motor control box instead of the HC.
1 year 2 months ago #89893

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. I got what is advertised by Rother Valley Optics as a ‘Skywatcher SynScan USB adapter’ … and it works (at least - it does in my lounge) I go straight from my RPI4 into the SynScan box, bypassing the HC completely, and fire up Indi using EQmount driver. I believe the RVO gadget is based on a Prolific chip. All I need now are some clear skies to test it out properly, but it looks very hopeful.

Thanks again.
1 year 1 month ago #90011

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds