INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Orion Sirius Pro mount compatibility?

• Thank you received: 9
I was wondering if anyone knew if the Orion Sirius Pro mount was compatible with INDI? My best guess is yes since the Sirius and Atlas use the same hand controller and the same drive motors, but I would like confirmation on that before I consider purchasing my next mount. I am considering both the Atlas Pro and the Sirius Pro. I am not sure I need to spend the extra $500 on the Atlas Pro for 10 pounds more capacity and 30 pounds more of mount weight.
7 years 2 months ago #13597

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
I own a Sirius mount and have no problem. They are the same mount has the HEQ5 but under a different name.

I use an EQDIRECT cable (no handset) and did a Rowan Belt mode.
"Some people are so poor, all they have is money"
SW Black Diamond 80ED | SW150MAK | Newton SW 200/1000 | Orion 50mm Guider with Helical Focuser |Sirius EQ-G Rowan Belt Mode
Canon 1000D moded | ZWO ASI185MC | Baader Mark III Zoom
INDI | Stellarmate on RPI3B+ | Stellarium | Pixinsight
7 years 2 months ago #13598

Which mount do you select in Ekos? I don't see an HEQ5 listed in my choices. Do you plug the EQDIRECT cable into the same spot the hand controller would use otherwise?
7 years 2 months ago #13600

I use "EQMOD mount" and the cable connects in the laptop USB port on one side and on the Mount RJ45 connector at the mount.

The handset is in a bag somewhere ;)
SW Black Diamond 80ED | SW150MAK | Newton SW 200/1000 | Orion 50mm Guider with Helical Focuser |Sirius EQ-G Rowan Belt Mode
The following user(s) said Thank You: John S.
7 years 2 months ago #13601

Cool. Thanks for the input. Do you have a Sirius or Sirius Pro? If you had it to buy over again, would you go Sirius Pro or Atlas Pro?
7 years 2 months ago #13602

I have the "old" Sirius EQ-G mount. The new one is an hybrid AZ/EQ-G.

The Pro looks really good and it has a belt-assisted stepper motor drive with dual optical encoders. So no need to mod it with "Rowan belt" so that is a plus although it was quite easy to do and I would recommend it to anyone owning an Sirius EQ-G.

As far as going for an Atlas or Sirius it really just depend on the load that you intend to put on it. The Altas mount is quite heavy, the Sirius is easier to carry around ;) In my case my mount can cary without any problems a SW80ED with all the other needed devices (DSLR, Finder, etc)
7 years 2 months ago #13617

Thanks for the response. I feel the same way about the mounts actually. I am leaning towards picking up the Sirius Pro mount. I like the Atlas Pro too, but the 30 pounds of additional weight for only 10 pounds of additional payload just doesn't compute for me.
7 years 2 months ago #13620

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds