INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Slew rate defaults back to 1 ?

• Thank you received: 10
Hi
Trying my Kubuntu 17.04 (Kstars bleeding) setup tonight with my NEQ6 mount. I seem unable to tweak the mount with the hand controller as the slew rate keeps going back to x1?.
If I set the slew rate to say x16 and push the joystick North it works ok but when I let go or move the joystick South,West or East the slew rate drops to x1?.
The Indi control panel is showing the joystick works ok by indicating
2017-05-30T22:10:11: North Slew stopped
2017-05-30T22:10:10: Starting North slew.
2017-05-30T22:10:09: South Slew stopped
2017-05-30T22:10:08: Starting South slew.
etc etc .
How can I keep the slew rate fixed so that I can use the joystick ok or is there some other setting I need to make please as I`m using a refractor and its not easy to try and tweak the mount using the N,S,E and W buttons in Ekos on the laptop same time as looking through the finder.
thanks
Steve
6 years 9 months ago #17055

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seems to work ok if I choose `Custom` and set the RA slew and Dec slew to say x8 or x16 then I can slew with the joystick!
Steve
6 years 9 months ago #17057

Hey Gasman,

I have the same Problem here. i am at Ubuntu 17.10 and Kstars bleeding (ppa) with EKOS and EQmod-Mount (via EQ6 / AstroEQ).

Problem 1: I only like to have 3 or 4 slew params up to say 150x, because my motors can't handle more (I am using AstroEq with custom steppers). I don't need and cannot use 600x, 700x, 800x. My motors would stutter at these speeds. And the "Custom" list item comes at the end of the list. This altogether leads to unprecise slewing between. This is a most severe problem for custom mounts.

Using EQmod for example I can add, remove or set my slewing profile so it meets my needs. Should be no problem in EKOS either ;-)
As I see this Option to alter the count of list items exists only under EQmod (ESCACOM) on Windows.

If in the Windows ESCASCOM software this possibility exists to alter the indi server settings, it should be also possible to set a property via "indi_setprop" which would be enough for me to get things running. But I simply cannot identify the settings. And documentation about this topic is not very easy to find.

Problem 2 (solved, see above): After press to slew the motor slews at the desired speed. Pressing another time, the slew falls back to 1x. An so forth ...Very annoying behaviour.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Axel

Not to mention: Kstars and EKOS seem to be a really, really good system!
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Axel .
6 years 1 month ago #23383

UPDATE / Problem 2 (motor stops) REMAINS:When e.g. slewing west, stopping and then pressing again west the motor does nothing but one step. Shortly pressing in the other direction (e.g. east instead of west) and then continuing west the motor again turns as desired.
This only is the case using a hand controller (Joystick) or the slew control of EKOS. Using software buttons in e.g. SkySafari works without problems. So it must be a software problem.

UPDATE / Problem 1 (custom editable list of slew rates) REMAINS: It should be possible (and no problem) to edit/set a custom list of slew values. This is a simple linked list.

EQ-Mod (which I don't use) uses a file EQMOD in the path C:\Users\apos\AppData\Roaming\EQMOD with the following content:
[slewrates]
RATEBTN_4=4
RATEBTN_3=3
RATEBTN_2=2
RATEBTN_1=1
InitalPreset=1
RATE_4=238
RATE_3=64
RATE_2=8
RATE_1=1
COUNT=4

In the ~./indi/EQMod Mount_config.xml I see the following lines, but trying to alter the On / Off switches makes no difference in EKOS. SLEW_MAX would be very nice. And - as I said, at least the possibility to alter the list entries or / and delete some of them would be a big issue because e.g. the joystick feature will be nearly useless without it.
<newSwitchVector device="EQMod Mount" name="TELESCOPE_SLEW_RATE">
        <oneSwitch name="SLEW_GUIDE">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="2x"
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="SLEW_CENTERING">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="4x">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="SLEW_FIND">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="6x">
On
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="7x">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="8x">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="9x">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="SLEW_MAX">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
        <oneSwitch name="SLEWCUSTOM">
Off
        </oneSwitch>
</newSwitchVector>

Thanks for your ears.
Cheers
Axel
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Axel .
6 years 2 weeks ago #24141

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds