INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Do I have the right cables to control an EQ-8?

• Thank you received: 4
Hi everyone,

I would like to control a Skywatcher EQ Pro (I believe it's an EQ-8 ) with EKOS. I tried connecting through the SynScan controller (Laptop > USB cable > USB to serial DB9 adapter > SynScan controller), but little success (SynScan INDI driver could not connect, some other drivers like lx200 could connect but gave no control). This failure may be the topic of another post.

So I would like now to try directly to the mount, I guess through the handcontroller port, which looks like RJ45. So I bought a DB9 to RJ45 cable, and a USB to serial adapter. I understand I also need an EQDirect box, that I will get soon. But I am just seeking confirmation here: do I have the right cables? I read here that wrong cables could damage your mount, so I want to make extra sure. Also, once I have all I need, what driver should I go for?

Side question: if one wanted to connect EKOS to a SynScan controller, what INDI driver would one chose? I guess the synscan driver is an obvious answer but since I couldn't get to run it... Just asking...

Many thanks,

Adrien
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Adrien Barrajon.
6 years 9 months ago #17463

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yes synscan is the driver to choose if you want to use the handcontroller. If it doesn't work, submit logs. At any rate, you really need EQDirect cable, you can one from Shoestring Astronomy.
6 years 9 months ago #17469

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds