INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon mzero Stargo with lx200 protocol

• Thank you received: 1
@Wolfgang: Ok nice ! did they gave you the full protocol specs !?
5 years 6 months ago #29770

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ok ! Works better with the new firmware.
I uploaded the 5.6.6 firmware.
Setting up pulse time doesn't work for now. I will checkout the codes needed.

[2018-09-24T18:45:44.810 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Avalon StarGo : "[DEBUG] sendQuery :X2040# End:# Wait:2s "
[2018-09-24T18:45:46.777 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Avalon StarGo : "[WARNING] Failed to receive full response: Timeout error. (Return code: -4) "
[2018-09-24T18:45:46.781 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Avalon StarGo : "[INFO] Setting RA speed to 40%. "
[2018-09-24T18:45:46.782 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Avalon StarGo : "[DEBUG] sendQuery :X2140# End:# Wait:2s "
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by DrGkill.
5 years 6 months ago #29782

It's really weird. I sniffed the stargo windows mount control software and actually the exact same command are launched to set dec and ra pulse periods. (X20xx, X21xx).
I will analyze all the conversations before to see if other mode commands are launched ot if it is just a matter of delay getting answers.
Maybe some of you already knows (wolfgang if you have the specs??)
5 years 6 months ago #29788

• Thank you received: 53
Looking at my notes it looks like X21nn and X20nn commands do not receive any response from the mount hence the timeout error. Minor change to the code to tell it to not expect a response but we should probably follow up with X22 to confirm the change was applied

Edit: to clarify - it looks like StarGo does not provide any response to X21 and X22 commands. It is unfortunately somewhat inconsistent in sometimes responding with a # terminated response, sometimes a response with no # and sometimes no response at all. Much of my code is aimed at addressing these inconsistencies.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Ken Self.
5 years 6 months ago #29789

I've added a fix for this issue. Had to remove the read wait so there is no timeout and also add a short delay between setting RA and Dec guide rates to prevent overunning StarGo.
It's now in the PR
5 years 6 months ago #29792

Thanks ! I saw your commit.
Not tested yet but it should work as expected.
I'll let you know.
5 years 6 months ago #29891

• Thank you received: 370
Ken, many thanks for your changes. Meanwhile I found the time for a first test, everything seems to work properly.

I introduced an intermediate branch to ensure a safe merge into the main branch. For those interested in the latest changes, please use the ken-self-sync branch .

-Wolfgang
5 years 5 months ago #29986

Folks, I found an error last night in the ken-self-sync branch that the mount does not correctly report when it is slewing and when slewing is finished. This leads to problems in EKOS where a plate solving for example is started too early while the mount is still slewing to the expected target.

Please use stargo_work , which does not show this behavior.
-Wolfgang
5 years 5 months ago #30039

Can you send me the debug log which has this behaviour?
5 years 5 months ago #30050

Hi Ken,
here comes the log file. Please take a look at the entries after 2018-10-03T20:36:10.872, where I started the EKOS polar alignment routine. After the first solved frame, the scope is sent to RA: 07h 59m 17s, DE: 88° 19' 45. At 2018-10-03T20:37:16.470 CEST, the telescope reports that the slewing has completed and a new frame is taken.

What we cannot see in the log file is, that in fact the slew wasn't complete. We can see it only indirectly in a failed solving attempt, which comes from star trails in the taken image.

Currently, my M-zero is in action. I will investigate this tomorrow.

Cheers
Wolfgang

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-27-27.txt.zip
File Size:54 KB
5 years 5 months ago #30106
Attachments:

Its odd that there are so few debug messages being logged. There should be a huge number of debug messages as each time the mount is polled (usually once per second) you should get at least 3 or 4 debug messages. These are the ones that indicate the motion state of the mount.
5 years 5 months ago #30107

here's my log from last night. You can see the solve at 21:42:28 then the mount slews. The motion state polled is m55 and when it returns to state m10 the next exposure is taken
One thing puzzles me. In your log at 20:50:19 there is a message: Avalon StarGo : "[INFO] Slew is complete. Tracking... "
My version of the code does not issue any such message
In the equivalent position in my log at 21:42:32.530 you see that message is not issued.
That message is in the version of ReadScopeStatus in stargo_work branch.
5 years 5 months ago #30110
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds