INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AP 600E Mount CP3 Error on initialization

• Thank you received: 12
Testing KStarts/Ekos/Indi under OSX and am very excited about the possibilities. I have a GTOCP3 with the latest firmware and am encountering the following two errors up connecting
my mount in Indi Server.

Error reading date from Telescope.
Failed to retrieve time format from device.

Subsequently I can control the mount but the tracking light is yellow and I'm pretty sure the date/time and possibly geo info isn't sync'd between mount and software.
I'm connecting to the mount after I've initialized the location and set the starting park position on the keypad. I assume it possible to send kstars/computer time/loc data to the mount or pull from the mount to use in kstars? Not sure where I would configure this?

KStars 2.8.7 OSX from the kde.edu page which I believe is Indi 1.5 but I'm not sure how to tell the indi version.

I'm a software engineer in a parallel life so I'd be happy to get additional information for you.. On the side I'm trying to build kstars/indi so I can take quicker advantage of updates.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks David
6 years 5 months ago #20747

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tracking light being yellow is the normal state. It means tracking is active. if you slew in the sky, does the telescope location makes sense, i.e. pointing at the right direction? If yes, that's all that matters. You can turn logging on for the mount in Ekos setup screen --> logs (or check my signature for video). If you have a camera attached, you can then sync to get accurate positions.
6 years 5 months ago #20763

Ok, thanks for the info on the tracking light, that's good news. I've verified that the computer/kstars loc/time is getting pushed down to the mount as I can view the loc/time on the mount keypad. Slews seen fine although I'm still inside "simulating" things. Would be nice to know if the error is "normal" or not.
6 years 5 months ago #20769

The error is not "normal" and I believe I fixed it a couple of days ago, so if you see it again, let me know.
6 years 5 months ago #20884

I built the latest OSX version this weekend, this error disappeared.
Error reading date from Telescope.

This one is still there.
Failed to retrieve time format from device.

Thanks David
6 years 4 months ago #21087

• Thank you received: 16
I am also having the same error messages as you. I am running with a GTOCP2 controller on an AP900 mount. I started getting these messages after updating a test system from 2.8.4 to 2.8.7 to see if my original problem might have been fixed. At this point I can’t connect successfully to the mount due to these errors. My original problem was that while using EKOS the guide rate to the mount is being changed to what appears to be a slew rate. The details are on my original post here (which I see you have found):

www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/2819-wrong-...n-failure.html#21089

The work around is to set the guide rate again with the hand controller and then calibrate and guide. I would prefer not to have to set out and babysit the mount as my big hope is to get this more automated. I am using the built in guide module that is based on Linguider. I think that if the guide rate setting was included in the INDI driver that would be a good start to helping my problem and may even correct it. I hope that “mikefulb” or Jasem can work out a solution. I will be doing some more indoor tests today using the EKOS/Kstars VM. Thanks for your reply to my post!
6 years 4 months ago #21091

If anyone can arrange me access to their mount on TeamViewer/SSH, I can remotely login and fix the issue. It's hard to program for a device you can't test against as you can imagine.
6 years 4 months ago #21094

• Thank you received: 16
Hi Jasem,
I have downloaded the latest Kstars/Ekos VM and updating that now to all the latest software. I will setup a profile in KStars/Ekos to connect to my mount and test that. I could then set this VM up with TeamViewer so you can connect and test. At least that is the intention if all goes well. I run my system off the Raspberry Pi 3 but think this VM arrangement would be better for you to test in. I have not used TeamViewer as yet but am no stranger to using other systems like this in an industrial/professional environment. Do I need a TeamViewer account or do we use yours? Will this work?
6 years 4 months ago #21110

There are no accounts, you just download TeamViewer, and it will give you some ID and pass you can give to me so I can login.
6 years 4 months ago #21113

I'd be happy to supply teamviewer access if a Mac works for you.
6 years 4 months ago #21132

• Thank you received: 30
The "Failed to retrieve time format from device:" error is because the AP firmware doesn't support the ":Gc#" command used by the LX200 generic driver code to read the time format from the mount - AP mounts use 24hr only. The 10Micron driver also had this issue apparently and supplies it own implementation of getBasicData() for this reason. I'm trying to approach with the AP driver and will test it out tonight hopefully.

I can't find the "Error reading date from Telescope." text in the current libindi sources - do you have the actual log file?
6 years 4 months ago #21355

Fyi, I don't see the latter message in the latest build, i think Jasem might have fixed this.
6 years 4 months ago #21358

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds