INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron CubePro with 8401 Controller Issues

• Thank you received: 0
I'm trying to get my CubePro with an 8401 controller working well, and can't seem to get it just right. I'm not sure if I'm using the right driver, and also not really sure what the correct procedure for syncing, tracking, etc. would be. My goal is to operate this scope remotely, and right now I have it running off a Raspberry PI and am connecting to it via KStars on a Mac. Also note that it's been cloudy and I haven't had this outside yet.

I've tried different drivers, but right now the one that seems to work most correctly is indi_lx200gotonova and selecting SmartEQ in the KStars INDI side. It's not perfect though. It connects, and I see where it's pointed on the map. I can right click and slew it around, but I can't seem to sync. If I slew somewhere, then right click nearby and hit sync, it moves the telescope pointer for a second, then goes back to the original position. The telescope then beeps and stops tracking. On the hand controller it displays "telescope now below horizon." It's clearly not below the horizon, as it's pointed up!

So I think if I were to take it outside and align it using the hand controller, I would be able to slew it remotely. But I want to be able to sync and park it, as like I said I want to operate it from inside the house.

One other thing I notice that doesn't make sense is that when I initially connect to the telescope, I can go to "site management" and see the "scope location" section. On the left side, the lat and lon are correct, and I believe that's coming from the scope's GPS. However, the right column latitude is way off, and after a moment it sets that incorrect latitude to the left column. I'm not sure where it's getting that bad longitude, as KStars itself is set to my correct location as well. I wonder if that bad longitude has something to do with it thinking the scope is below the horizon, but I'm not sure.

So in general I'm not sure what I should look at here. I found this old thread talking about the 8401, which says it won't work, but then there is a recent note from someone saying it now does if I select SmartEQ: indilib.org/forum/mounts/397-ioptron-gotonova-driver.html#17393

So my overall goal is to get it to work well, and be able to unpark and run it remotely, then park and leave it until the next time. I'd like to be able to sync it rather than having to go outside and align it with the hand controller. That last message in the linked thread seems to say I could do that, but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks!
6 years 3 months ago #21499

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.346 seconds