INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Why EQMOD?

• Thank you received: 66

Why EQMOD? was created by Greg

Ok this is a serious question. Not trolling. I want to know why EQMOD is used instead of a standard Synscan control. Both V3 and V4 Synscan controllers permit external mount control. What is gained by using EQMOD? No opinions please, just facts from someone who knows.

Given that I want to do astrophotography. Is external software control if the Synscan V3/V4 not suitable? If not then why not? And who is saying so?
5 years 8 months ago #27238

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 104

Replied by Patrick Chevalley on topic Why EQMOD?

The synscan is suitable, but eqmod is more convenient.

For me the most important point to use eqmod are:
- you not need all this click to initialize the handpad, so you can power on remotely.
- you can do the star alignement on as many stars as you want by using plate solving anywhere on the sky, no need to center some specific bright star in the camera.
- if using a fixed pier you can save and reload the alignement for the next session.
- maybe more I not remember because it's so long I not connected the synscan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vzr
5 years 8 months ago #27239

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Why EQMOD?

Thanks @pch. I see your points, especially true remote operation.

I work on site and now that I’m using Kstars. All I do with the controller is turn it on and put into PC direct mode. With a synscan driver, I could cut out the PC direct mode and still have manual control over the scope when necessary ( and rest comfortably knowing the software was talking to the scope in a manner supported by the vender.)
5 years 8 months ago #27246

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds