INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Beginner problems with HEQ5 Pro through indi server EQMod

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
We have HEQ5 pro. There are problems with slew through the indi server. I'm testing now in Kstar, and I'll work through indi-client using Python scripts for remote control of the telescope.
Now there are difficulties at the very beginning of the work: I'm trying to set up the HEQ5 in the room so that it is placed at least roughly in the right area.
Problems arise because of the fact that it periodically swaps the top and bottom of the telescope tube, and also, sometimes it goes beyond the horizon. I set it manually to a certain position in the direction of the polar star (especially angle from the horizon), I set this position as parking, and synchronize in Kstar with polar star. The alignment mode is set to "N-star". Then I try to slew at some star, but it goes to the other side of the hemisphere or something like that.
I understand that I probably have some incorrect settings for HEQ5. I'm a beginner and do not really understand what different settings are responsible for. For example, what means "reverse DEC" or "enforce counter-weight up" (I leave default). In Ascom, it slews all right, but I need to control it from ubuntu.
Could someone share their settings file for indi server here? Or maybe give a couple of links or some tips for me to find some info that will help me solve this problem.
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 1600MC-cool
Remote telescope on Ubuntu 16 by indiserver
Kstars
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Vladimir.
5 years 7 months ago #28375

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What cable are you using? Are you connected directly to the mount or via the hand controller? Can you post the logs? (check my signature for how to).
5 years 7 months ago #28376

Thank you for fast answer!

I think it's not a cable problem. Connected directly.
Yes, I can post the logs, but I make some nice progress last hour: now I make it work without using sync. So, looks like all problem was in sync protocol.

What I did: I restarted indi server, slew to the polar star, then manually adjust HEQ5 to polar star and change park position to current. No sync at any time, just uses what's settings it has (we have some settings from the previous mount). I named it "manual sync" :D
So now I need to understand how "align" and "sync" tab work. Which is the difference between different settings(Alignment mode, Sync.Mode), and how to make correct sync's and alignment's points?

Looks like there is need to add some info about it in indilib.org/devices/telescopes/eqmod.html
Can I read about it on some other drivers page? Does it work in the same way?

P.S.: it took me about one week to realize how to make it works.
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 1600MC-cool
Kstars
5 years 7 months ago #28381

• Thank you received: 165
I've noticed some issues with n-star alignment which occasionally does some weird things, using one star seems to work more reliably, though not as accurately, but combined with plate solving has worked well for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vladimir
5 years 7 months ago #28385

A week! That's quite long. All you have to do is to point to the Celestial pole with the weight down. The documentation could use some improvement, but usually users do not need to fiddle with the settings, it should work fine as is.
5 years 7 months ago #28386

What "plate solving" means?
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 1600MC-cool
Kstars
5 years 7 months ago #28389

Yes, that's because we already have some code on Python which worked with the previous mount, so I tried it first. After that I try to combine it with Kstars, using sync and etc... That was tight way, but I'm not just a usual user, so I need to understand all settings.
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 1600MC-cool
Kstars
5 years 7 months ago #28390

• Thank you received: 94

Hi. It's part of what the align module does. It takes a snap of the sky and tells you where the telescope is pointing. Exactly.

** until recently, the indi eqmod driver did not behave as the ascom eqmod driver. We got caught out by that. If your scripts need the ascom behaviour, make sure you have the latest indi-eqmod installed.
HTH and clear skies,
Steve
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by alacant.
5 years 7 months ago #28391

• Thank you received: 223

I had a very similar issue in the beginning and it drove me nuts but I got this fixed.
The first thing I've done was to disconnect the mount from anything, forget Ekos/Kstars etc... for the time being.
You will just need for this exercise you mount controller connected to the HEQ5, and follow the instruction to the letter from the link in my post Accurately setting the “Home” or “Park” position on a EQ5
Once it's done and dusted, then you can start playing with Ekos/Kstars.
Generally speaking after you've got the home/park position set and mastered from the previous link, the vast majority of the eqMod settings should work fine for the HEQ5 pro.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
5 years 7 months ago #28396

Gonzothegreat,
Thank you for the complete answer, we for sure will use it!

alacant, sound like a magic :)
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 1600MC-cool
Kstars
5 years 7 months ago #28417

• Thank you received: 223
Let us know please if you were successful or not.
5 years 7 months ago #28447

We still fail to work with our telescope, and, unfortunately, I can't follow your instructions now because our mount is far away, and we have only remote access to it.
But we solved this issue by just not using sync. Looked like everything was working well, so we set the mount in the field, I started using ECOS and plate solving.
And now we have a new issue, which I described here:
indilib.org/forum/mounts/4260-an-alignme...kstars-via-indi.html
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 1600MC-cool
Kstars
5 years 3 months ago #32341

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds