INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

"direct" access to mount/telescope port

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Is there a way to have a ser2net type of functionality in indi/stellarmate? For my celestron telescope it would be good to be able to connect the NexRemote remote control software to perform the intial alignment. For most remote stuff the SkySafari module works good but it cannot handle direct mount specific (celestron) commands as I understand (align/firmware update etc)

I saw this comment in the changelog:
Added preliminary support to TCP server connection for all mounts.

Somehow I think that may be related but do not find any info about it?

From last night I got the conclusion that it is neccessary to do a "mount" alignment in order to sync the alignment in the EKOS module. Before that the coordinates from the astrometry solver didn't get transfered to the real telescope direction. After a first "mount" alignment it was possible to run all from EKOS.
5 years 5 months ago #30644

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The TCP stuff is when the mount is available on networked or WiFi connection. How is the Initial alignment in nexremote exactly done?
5 years 4 months ago #31383

Hi,

Thanks for the response, not sure I completely understand but,

The initial alignment as of now is done on the hand controller hardware connected to the telescope. There is a software version of this (nexremote) that can be used on the serial port. My serial port is connected to the stellarmate and INDI. I have previously used ser2net to expose the serial port to an IP port and then remotely connected the nexremote to the port. The nexremote is closed source so don't know how it does alignment, if there are some non-document commands serial commands here. The best would of course not to need nexremote and able to do full alignment directly from INDI.

UPDATE:
After some more surfing I see that the nexremote thread is not viable, it will only update the alignment on the nexremote sw and not in the physical hand controller that controls the scope and interfaces INDI (as I have understood).

But my initial question remains, are there ways to expose the full serial stream to an IP port where an external software can do non-INDI stuff with the scope?
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Petrus Hyvönen.
5 years 4 months ago #31450

I see. I think it's best if we know how this is done exactly so that it becomes part of the driver instead of relying on 3rd party solutions. I bet a few folks researched this already, any insights on this is done?
5 years 4 months ago #31452

• Thank you received: 138
All that NexRemote does is provide an emulation for a handcontrol, it can only run the legacy NexStar controller code, up to version 4.22. It only runs in Windows. I'm not sure this would help.

Chris
5 years 4 months ago #31488

Hi, many thanks for your comments, yes I agree the nexremote is not a good solution, and it seems like it would not work either as the alignment of the HC is the one interfacing the serial port.

I found another thread here that is trying to do remote align, but using an alternative celestron driver. As I understand this interfaces directly with the motors of the mount and does thus not need to go through the alignment of the hand controller:
indilib.org/forum/general/1707-celestron...ote-align.html#31534
5 years 4 months ago #31535

Time to create page: 0.719 seconds