INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon Driver Setup

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Nicola Döbelin on topic Avalon Driver Setup

The speed dial is numerical (see attached). It defaults to a value of 2. The controls are enabled. I can change the value, but it has no effect on the actual speed.
5 years 2 months ago #33364
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hm, without a working Avalon FOCS, it is difficult to drill the problem down. One option would be that you download the sources and debug it on your own.

If you want to do it, I can assist you in setting up a development environment.
5 years 2 months ago #33372

I see. But to be honest, I would not even know where to start with the debugging and what to look for. Would it help if I give you TeamViewer access to my mount-side PC? I already pulled the source code of indi and kstars from github and compiled it. Plus I can point a camera at the focuser, so you get a live stream of the movements. I will re-install the PC anyway, so I don't care if you mess it up. And I will disengage all clutches of the mount and focuser, so you can't do any damage when testing movements. What do you think?
5 years 2 months ago #33379

Hi Nic,
we could give it a try. I will send you a private message.
5 years 2 months ago #33427

• Thank you received: 2
Hi NICD,

I wrote the initial version of the focuser interface. Currently I don't have much free time but I will see what I can do.

I have a couple of questions:
- What is the firmware version you are using for StarGO?
- Are you commanding the motor to move through the interface or are you physically moving it?
- If you are commanding the motor to move through the interface is it actually moving? (I think it moves out but wont move in)

I suspect I know what is happening but I will get back to you.
5 years 2 months ago #33434

I think I know what is going on.

The mount has a periodic function to query status like RA/DEC and what not. The focuser also has one as well but it isn't being called. The reason you can extend the focuser and not retract is because position commands to positive values are allowed, all extension motions produce positive values when referenced to 0. However retraction motions require a negative position (compared to the current position) which means you cant retract because the current position is always 0. The problem will be resolved once the focuser's query function is called periodically.

I will see what I can do to fix this. I know the design has changed a bit since I last looked at the code. The main difficulty will be in preventing the focuser from trying to query status while the mount is doing the same thing. The simplist thing might be to call the focuser's periodic update function at the end of the mount's periodic update function.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wolfgang Reissenberger
5 years 2 months ago #33435

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. I had a debugging session with Wolfgang this week. I think he understood what is going wrong. Unfortunately I can't contribute more than giving him remote access to my FOCS focuser.

Nic
5 years 2 months ago #33482

Currently, only the absolute positioning of the focuser is working. But the changed focus position is not shown due to the missing update that Chris mentioned.
As a workaround, until this is fixed, you can enter manually the absolute focuser position and ignore the "0" that is shown as absolute position. The command will be send nevertheless, although the result is not visible.
5 years 2 months ago #33483

I think I have a fix but I am having problems compiling now so once I get that resolved and test the fix out I will generate a PR for the indi library.
5 years 2 months ago #33642

Please be so kind and post the PR against my repository: github.com/sterne-jaeger/indi.git

I will test and release it
5 years 2 months ago #33643

I will do that. However at the moment I cant get it to build. I have tried building it solo and building all 3rd party drivers and it fails due to:
In file included from /home/canis/Code/indi/3rdparty/indi-avalon/lx200stargofocuser.h:25:0,
                 from /home/canis/Code/indi/3rdparty/indi-avalon/lx200stargofocuser.cpp:22:
/home/canis/Code/indi/3rdparty/indi-avalon/lx200stargo.h:27:34: fatal error: mount/lx200telescope.h: No such file or directory

Any ideas? I am attempting to build from the most recent master.
5 years 2 months ago #33644

Yes, you need to build and install libindi to the latest version first.

But maybe you take first a look at the recent changes in branch "stargo_work" from github.com/sterne-jaeger/indi.git

I would not be surprised, if we had the same idea.
5 years 2 months ago #33645

Time to create page: 0.934 seconds